Chapter 22: It All Started When I Was Born

While Charlie let Beatrice rest, she wondered around halls of the hospital. There was really no telling how long they would be there for, so Charlie decided to see what there was in the way of food or water.

      After roaming for a bit, she found some cans of food in the cafeteria, though there was really no telling how old they were. There were also a few vending machines which had bottled water and various snacks (which were probably stale, but still food nonetheless).

      Charlie found a crowbar in one of the store rooms and used it to smash open the glass fronts. Then she carefully reached inside and retrieved all of the bottles she could carry before coming back for the snacks.

     When she came back into the room carrying an armful of tiny chip bags, Beatrice sat up and rubbed her head.

      "What are you doing?" She asked.

      "Getting food and water, just in case." Charlie said, plopping her bountiful harvest onto the couch.

        Beatrice nodded, sat upright a little bit more.

        Charlie walked over and sat beside her on the edge of the bed.

        Guess I better go ahead and get this over with. Hopefully she won't take it too badly.

        "Beatrice, I need to tell you what prompted me to take matters into my own hands and break you out of prison." She said.

        "You mean it wasn't my 'pretty nice butt'?" Beatrice asked with a bit of a tired smirk.

        "Well, uh—" Charlie sheepishly rubbed the back of her head and began to stutter. "I mean, that's part of it. Not your butt I mean. You know, just like all of you, as you know, like a whole person—"

          Ah fuck. I'm getting sidetracked, like usual.

         Charlie cleared her throat.

         "But, uh, no." She said. "It's was actually because of your mother."

        Beatrice's playful smile immediately vanished, and her body went rigid.

        "What? What about her?"

         "She escaped from prison—" Charlie carefully started.

          "What?!"

          "...and she stole the compound from Delacqua Tech." Charlie added.

          Beatrice threw the covers off and got up.

         "No. No." She started hurriedly pacing around the room, arms wrapped around herself. "Charlie no. This can't happen. This can't fucking happen."

        Charlie reached a hand towards her.

         "Beatrice." She said softly.

         "Charlie—" She said something else, but it came out as a desperate, garbled sob. She collapsed her face into her hands, and her shoulders started to shake.

       Charlie quickly dashed over to her side, and gathered her in her arms. Beatrice wrapped her arms around her and squeezed her so tightly that it was uncomfortable, her face pressed hard against her chest as she cried.

      Charlie held her like this for an such a long time that her arms grew tired and stiff, though she didn't mind it. She would stand right there and hold Beatrice for the rest of the day if that was what she needed.

      "What are we gonna do, Charlie?" Beatrice cried against the spandex on her chest.

      Charlie ran her hand over her back.
      "It's going to be okay, B." Charlie said. "I promise."