Chapter 24: The Waiting Game

As soon Beatrice started to film, Charlie passed out on a waiting room couch. She had been awake for over 24 hours for the first time since college and it was really starting to take a toll on her.

          She woke up what felt like an eternity later to Beatrice shaking her awake. Or at least doing her best to shake her awake. 

          "Five more minutes, B." Charlie grumbled, rolling away from her and nuzzling further into the couch cushions.

          "Come on, Charlie." Beatrice said, shaking her harder. "You've been asleep for six hours. Don't be a brat."

          "Six hours?" Charlie jolted upright and rubbed her eyes. "I only meant to sleep for like an hour or something."

          "Well, you were out much longer than that." Beatrice said. "The broadcast is going to start soon so we need to get ready to leave."

         Charlie stretched and slowly hauled herself off of the couch.

         "Leave? Where are we going? Did I miss out on that much while I was sleeping?"

         "We're going to an abandoned parking garage that's really close by." Beatrice said. "I asked Harleigh to make the video traceable to this location, but I'll actually be waiting at the parking garage else until she arrives."

         "I'll?" Charlie asked incredulously. "What about me?"

         "We'll have to find somewhere for you to hide." Beatrice said casually as she reached down and picked up an overstuffed duffle bag.

         "I'm not just going to hide somewhere and let you fight Night Thief alone!" Charlie said. 

         "You'll just get hurt." Beatrice said. "I'm trying to keep you safe."

         "I'm trying to keep you safe!" Charlie countered.

          Beatrice sighed. "Fine. I guess you don't have to hide the whole time. But you have to promise you'll be extremely careful and stay out of the way."

         Charlie stuck out her pinkie finger.

         "I pinkie swear!" She said.

          Beatrice rolled her eyes, but was obviously trying to bite back an amused smile. She stuck her pinkie out anyway and linked it with Charlie's. 

          "I'm going to hold you to it. You do something dangerous or get hurt and I'm breaking your pinkie." Beatrice jokingly said. 

          "Good thing I've never broken a pinkie swear before!" Charlie said. "I never go back on my word!"

          "For your tiny finger's sake, let's hope so."

         Charlie pouted but didn't try to retort.

         Her hands were pretty small, so her finger would probably break pretty easily.

         Beatrice unfolded the hoverboard and started to program a new location into it.

         "Come watch me." Beatrice said, waving her over. "You need to make sure you know how to use this in case you need to make a break without me."

         Charlie tried to hold back her frown as she watched her.

         Beatrice didn't say that like it was something that might happen. She said it like it was something that would happen. Charlie didn't like it. She understood planning for the worst, but that was completely different than expecting the worst.