Chapter 10: Pillow Talk

Charlie slowly died from boredom over the next three days

The media was silent. Either the authorities had ordered them not to talk about the investigation anymore, or Charlie's kidnapping had simply become yesterday's news. It was possible something more interesting had grabbed the public's attention.

       Either way, it brought Charlie's mood way down. She didn't like not being the center of attention.

Having nothing to do for three days was about to drive her stir crazy. Charlie wasn't used to staying in one place, let alone cooped up inside one place, and it was getting obvious that it didn't agree with her.

      Beatrice was sitting in the corner like usual.  She was messing with some device and cursing every now and then very quietly. Occasionally she would even get mad and throw something against the wall— but that was about as exciting as it would get.

       "You have any friends?" Charlie asked her.

        "Not really." She said.

        "No family either?" Charlie asked.

        "Not anymore."

         Charlie rolled over onto her stomach and rested her chin on her hand.

        "Ever been in a relationship?"

         "Nope."

         "Really? Not even when you were like twelve or something?"

          "I wasn't allowed to leave my room, let alone my house. I didn't have any way to make any super secret paramours." Beatrice said, sounding somewhat sullen.

           "Couldn't you sneak out or something?" Charlie asked. "I mean, I managed to do it and my father had all kinds of crazy security in our main estate. I used to have my friend Harleigh hack the cameras so it looked like I was in bed.

        Then I'd disable the motion sensors and the door alarms, and use this this thing Harleigh made to remotely turn them back on once I was outside!

       ... though I guess I did have that tracking device I never knew about, so he probably knew the whole time..."

      Charlie's brow furrowed as she thought it through. She wondered if he just didn't care if she went out the whole time...

      "I couldn't do that." Beatrice said. "My room didn't have any doors or windows. You were there."

Charlie winced and sat up a bit higher.

"So that was your childhood bedroom?"

Beatrice was quiet for a long while.

"Yeah."

       "Couldn't you have just snapped in and out?" Charlie asked.

       "My powers didn't come in until I was fifteen, and by then I had gotten away from there and I had more important things to worry about." Beatrice said.