Part Two, Chapter Two: ONE FEAR

Beatrice felt even less sure inside of the limo. The jeweled fabric of the dress scratched the underside of her arms, and the heels she had on already felt constricting on her feet. She rubbed her palms together out of anxiety.

Charlie reached a hand over, and took one of hers in it, squeezing it gently. Beatrice looked up, and Charlie gave her a familiar goofy grin. Beatrice did her best to try and return it.

"You okay?" She asked.

"Just thinking about how many tabloids my face is going to be all over after this." Beatrice said it like a joke, but the thought of having so many eyes on her was terrifying.

"We can always turn around and go back home." Charlie said. "Or we could get ice cream! Or I could book us a flight to the Caribbean!"

"Uh, no thanks." Beatrice said, flustered. "I actually won't think any of that would help me feel better."

Charlie gave her a concerned look, and she rushed to say something that sounded less concerning.

"I mean, there's people in those places too. It's almost just as terrifying." She said with a nervous laugh.

Charlie didn't look anymore reassured by her words, and Beatrice tried to reign in her racing thoughts and do damage control.

"I mean, uh-"

Come on Beatrice. She scolded herself. Just try and be normal this one night. Do it for Charlie.

"B-" Charlie started, squeezing Beatrice's hand gently.

"I'm fine." Beatrice cut her off. "I promise, okay?"

"Okay." Charlie said.

Should you lie to your girlfriend? Beatrice didn't think so, but the only other option was to tell Charlie how she actually felt.

Being vulnerable and honest with Charlie? Disgusting. Beatrice thought. What if she decides she doesn't like me anymore because I'm a stupid crybaby and then she uses my insecurities against me? I could get hurt!

....

I would probably deserve it, though.

I mean look at me, I'm a nobody. What am I doing at a place like this? Charlie will get tired or me eventually. Everybody does.

She'll realize I'm a bad person. Everybody does.

I mean, I did kidnap her after all. I deserved to stay in jail.

Not to mention that time I saw that turtle stuck on its back in the middle of the road and I didn't help it because I was ready to get home and take a nap.

That poor turtle probably got hit by a car.

....

Or worse. It starved to death! It starved in the middle of the street because I was too selfish to spend one second or my time to help it! It starved and it's all my fault! I did that!

"B?"

Beatrice blinked up at Charlie.

"Wh-huh?" She said.

"I said we're here." Charlie said, tugging on her hand.

Beatrice swallowed. He'd heart felt like it was beating too fast. Was that okay? Was she okay? It didn't feel like it.

But she squeezed Charlie's hand anyway, and closed her eyes at the sound of the car door opening.

It was even worse than she imagined. There were people everywhere. So many people.