Chapter 14: All's Well

Sometimes when I'm typing Beatrice my phone corrects it to "bees rice".

      Charlie told Beatrice the good news about Harleigh agreeing to help, but the information didn't seem to ease any of the woman's worries. Her face was still drawn up in a hard frown, her lips pursed like she had been sucking on a lemon.

      "It's okay. We can trust Harleigh. I swear!" Charlie tried to reassure her.

        "I just feel weird about it." Beatrice muttered, plopping down dramatically on the couch and crossing her arms.

        "What are you going to do when you get the—" Charlie stopped herself short of revealing that she knew what Beatrice was after. "When you get this thing you're after? Are you going to destroy it? Since, you know, you say it's dangerous and all."

       Beatrice sighed and ran her hands over her face.

       "I don't know, really," She said. "It—it would probably be best for everyone if I did but—"

         She cut herself off and grimaced.

         "But what?" Charlie pressed.

         "But part of me wants to keep it." Beatrice said. "Now, it's really the only thing I have left of him."

          "Of... Shadow Witch?" Charlie asked quietly.

          Beatrice didn't reply, but the way she stared down at the ground with a pained expression told Charlie the answer was yes.

         Charlie knew she might be testing her luck, but she decided to press the issue nonetheless.

        "Were the two of you close?"

         Beatrice actually answered this time.

        "Yes. Very."

        Charlie nodded quietly, not sure what else to say. She wanted to know more. She wanted more pieces of the puzzle, so that she could finally see the full picture. There was more to Beatrice for her to find out that she was sure of.

        "Was he the one who was your boyfriend?" Charlie asked experimentally.

         Beatrice looked up at her tiredly, but not angrily. "First of all, ew. Second of all, not every man I know is my boyfriend."

         "I guess I am being a little bit over the top with that." Charlie said. "You're just  always so weird and avoidant about how you know Copper Knight and Shadow Witch that I assume it was a bad breakup or something."

         Beatrice laid back on the couch and covered her eyes with her arm.

         "Shadow Witch was my brother."

          It was silent. Charlie was taken off guard. To say the least, it wasn't what she had been expecting to hear. She had always just assumed Beatrice was just some kind of super fangirl who happened to have similar powers.

          "Oh, uh—" Charlie's thoughts raced as she tried to figure out what to say. "That's. I didn't know he had sister."

Damn Charlie. Can you ever get it together around her?

         "Of course not." Was all Beatrice said.

         "I'm, uh sorry." Charlie tried.

         "Why are you apologizing?" Beatrice scoffed. 

         "I dunno." Charlie said, sitting down beside her. "I'm just trying to empathize. I lost my mother, so, you know. I know the pain doesn't really go away."