2. $700

(Her POV)

I smiled, shaking hands with the manager.

I felt my phone buzz.

"Thank you so much for hiring me." I smiled.

"Of course Miss Pickett. No matter experience everyone deserves a chance. When would you mind starting? We need staff immediately." Luke smiled and I nodded.

"I can start now if my attire is appropriate." I told him.

"That would be great. Sorry you had your interview at busy hour." He laughed and I smiled.

"No problem." I walked out and he followed, introducing me to the one bartender working.

She smiled, offering her hand.

"You're look is so cool." I complimented.

She had a side cut, the rest of her hair onto her shoulder, it was purple and her ears wore black gages, her brown skin pierced and tattooed.

"Thank you. I like her." She grabbed my shoulders and Luke smiled before leaving.

"You know how to make drinks?" She asked.

"All of em." I nodded.

"Good. Name tag is here, write it with this sharpie till we can get you an engraved one. Come out whenever. Big boss is coming tonight so our performance has to be good." She shook her head and walked out.

I put my name tag on and looked at my phone.

Carly: did u get the job? X
Me: you'll see babe;)

I looked at an unknown number text.

Unknown: I'm glad Luke hired you. Your interview went well. I can't wait to see you prepare my friends and I's drinks tonight little love. When I come to you, tell me how that customer looks won't you? I bet I'd know him. <3

My heart stammered and I felt weak.

"Dahlia!" The cool girl called me.

I shoved my phone in my bra and walked out.

"Sorry, my friend is a dancer here and was eager." I laughed and she smiled.

"Sorry it's just a bit of a rush." She shook the drink she was making.

"Hi ma'am what would you like?" I asked.

"Gin and coke. Lime." She smiled and I nodded.

I grabbed a glass, filling it with ice as I found the gin, the way it was organized was the same as my previous job.

I grabbed a coke from the mini fridge.

"Lime slice is here Lia." The girl smiled.

I nodded and poured the coke as a man told me three shots of tequila. God that sounds vile.

My throat burned imagining that.

I placed the lime on the corner of the drink and handed it to her, a smile on her lips as she gave me a thanks.

I poured the shots and they all chugged them.

I heard one gag and I hid my laughter.

"Make me anything." I froze.

I turned lightly.

"What's with the pause? You work for me now make what you'd think I'd like." He said.

He always sounded like he should wear a smirk but his face was stuck expressionless. Not even a smirk.

I thought it out. Manhattan came to mind.

I mixed Rye whiskey, sweet vermouth, and bitters as I poured it out and added two maraschino cherries to a toothpick and placed it in.

"Manhattan sir." I nodded as I placed it down.

His friends told me their orders and I began preparing them.

"What made you think of this?" He asked.

"I'm not sure, I see just straight whiskey or bourbon for you but that's not fun to pour." I explained, my pulse in my throat.

"Boss is talking casually to you?" The purple hair girl asked.

"I suppose." Was all I said as I handed out their drinks.

I icked from the recognizable tuna breath man.

"What? Speak your mind." The man told me and I watched as he put his arms on the table, large muscles on display, his T-Shirt looking as if it were gonna rip.

"His breath." I muttered.

He cracked a grin and the guy scoffed.

"My breath?" He asked.

"Yes. You need a mint or something more than a martini to get rid of that." I shook my head.

"Ex-"

"Sit your ass down. Don't stand to a woman like that Chase boy." He grumbled and my skin crawled with the look on his face.

The rest of them looked surprised but I ignored it as I walked to the new customers.

"I'm getting tabs prepared is it okay if I leave you?" The girl asked and I took the time to peer at her name tag.

Candice.

"It's fine." I smiled lightly and she walked away.

I got everyone their drinks and refills.

"Another one?" The guy asked me.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"How come?" He wonders.

"I just don't want to mentally refer to you as 'that one guy'." I explained.

"Gabriel. Aldine." He sat straighter in the bar stool.

"A-Aldine?" I'd heard stories of a James Aldine. I've heard of Gabriel too.

"Familiar." He smiled, I nodded.

"Ahh, I can see the nerves. Want a drink?" He offered his and I shook my head.

"Calm down gorgeous." He rolled his eyes.

I made another Manhattan for him and handed it to him.

His hand grabbed my wrist.

"I'm serious. Calm yourself. You're too pretty to be a bundle of nerves." He told me a quietly.

"Okay." I nodded.

"Good." He let me go.

"I'll be coming here often, checking on you often. It's been a week. I'm shocked that voice hasn't spilled." He studied me.

"I promised." I croaked.

"Well then. I should be on my way. Come here?" He asked and I did, he leaned over the bar and put his elbows on the edge, I hated how close he was to me.

"Scaredy cat. Take this, if people question you I give you full permission to ignore them or deck them in the face. You won't be fired for it." He winked and put $700 in my hand before he pulled the gum from his mouth and placed it in my open one again.

"God you're easy to get. Keep that in there a while, don't toss it on the sidewalk again little love. When I text you answer. I won't come the next few days I've got a tattooed groping asshole to chase down. I'm not leaving until you begin chewing though." He smiled.

I clamped my mouth shut.

"Don't fake that shit. You do and I'll make you blow a bubble gorgeous." He waited and I began chewing it.

It didn't taste remotely bad even after the drink he had. It's just the thought I guess.

"Good job. I'll talk to you soon." He walked away and I shoved the $700 in my bra.

Why do I get myself so worked up?