vi.

"Jake, what are you doing here?" I saunter over towards the boy who stood unmoving on his motorcycle in the Forks high school parking lot

"Jake, what are you doing here?" I saunter over towards the boy who stood unmoving on his motorcycle in the Forks high school parking lot. He gives me a small smile, nodding in my direction.

"Just here to talk to Bella," He says, looking past me towards the familiar Volvo pulling into the parking lot. Edward and Bella emerge from the car just as Jacob climbs off his bike and strides toward them.

I follow close behind, curious to know the conversation that was about to ensue.

"Hey," Bella greeted, Edward following close behind her like a watchdog. Both Jacob and Edward look visibly disgruntled by the sight of one another. Their stern expressions cause other students to give them a wide berth. They look almost dangerous, but Bella is delighted at the sight of Jacob.

Edward subtly, protectively pulls Bella back. I cross my arms over my chest. "Charlie said you left town," Jacob simply said, looking Bella up and down.

"To see my mother. Why?" Bella questioned him, her hands pushing Edward's protective stance away slightly.

"He's checking to see if you're still human," Edward mumbled. My eyebrows shot up. "You want to read my mind? Enjoy." Jacob spat. Jacob seems to be contemplating his following words, and suddenly Edward appears distressed about his thoughts.

"Um, what is happening?" I said, a bored tone lacing my words; surely that wasn't the only reason Jacob was here.

"He's reminding me of what it was like for Bella when I went away," Edward seethed, looking like he could lunge at the boy in front of him at any second. Jacob takes a breath to calm himself, then faces Edward.

"I'm here to warn you - if your kind come on our land again-"

"Wait, what?" Bella cuts him off mid-sentence. I look at the vampires, all grouped by their cars on the far end of the parking lot. They all shot pitiful looks, especially Emmett. I shoot my glance back towards the conflict.

"Leave it alone, Jacob," Edward hisses at him. I notice Alice and Jasper gracefully and swiftly climb from their car and place themselves in proximity. Hopefully, the two love-sick puppies wouldn't make a scene in front of the entire school parking lot.