ii.

••

••

My eyes slowly crept open only to be met with a blinding light. I groaned in annoyance. I hated waking up with a passion. I sat up in my bed, my eyes halfway open taking in my surroundings. Stella was sprawled out onto the soft bed beside me. Her long curly hair disheveled onto the pillow beneath her.

I sighed, rubbing my eyes of the dried tears that stained my cheeks from the previous night. My mind took a moment to process why they were there, but then I remembered. Moving across the country, leaving Stella and Sam, leaving behind the only life I've ever known. I shut my eyes in protest of the new tears threatening to spill over.

I couldn't cry right now, It was too early for that. I glanced at my phone looking at the time, 9:37am. I stood up from my warm bed as much as I hated it. I looked for any texts or calls from Sam; Nothing.

I furrowed my brows in disappointment but decided to not let it get me down. We left for Forks in less than 2 weeks, I needed to make the most of the time I've got left in Virginia. I left Stella's sleeping form and made my way to the bathroom. A quiet gasp escaped my lips as I looked into the mirror. My eyes were swollen and red, dark sunken lines surrounded my under eyes. My face was flushed a bright red. My long hair disheveled and messy in my face.

I turn on the shower. I look one last time at my phone for any notifications before getting into the shower.

Still nothing.

••

"Goodmorning Gen." My mother's all too chirpy voice filled my ears as Stella and I entered the kitchen. I just nodded in response. "Morning Mrs. Brown!" Stella responds in an equally as ecstatic tone. I just couldn't understand how they could both be so chipper for it to be so early. I guess it wasn't that early, but too early while on spring break.

This was another reason I was so upset about our move, it was March, the middle of the school year. It was already enough I wouldn't know anyone, but now everyone would know me. I'd be the new girl that everyone wanted to get to know. Forks was such a tight-knit and small community that it would be impossible to go undetected by other students. I didn't cope well with a lot of attention on me.

I grabbed a coffee mug from the cabinet above me, Stella not far behind repeating my motions. I pour the steaming black drink into my mug and make my way to sit at the dining table. I take a sip of the hot drink, feeling it almost calm my nerves just a bit. Stella pulled the wooden chair from the table, taking a sip of her coffee and glancing at me.

"Don't worry too much alright? I'm gonna miss you so much but we can video chat and text each other alright?" She grabbed my hand that was resting on the table, giving it a reassuring squeeze. This made me feel a bit better, but not completely. Suddenly my phone buzzed from within my pocket. I quickly glance at the lit screen.

"Hey, meet me at my house in 20?"

I smiled to myself, responding with a quick yes. My smile quickly faded as I remembered why I was meeting him. I had to tell him I was leaving. My chest felt a quick pang but I quickly swallowed the feeling, returning the device back into my pocket.