ii.

"I never wanted to have a party," Bella muttered to Carlisle and I as we sat in his office

"I never wanted to have a party," Bella muttered to Carlisle and I as we sat in his office. I flinched as he removed another piece of glass from the wound, putting it into a bowl beside him.

I sat on his desk as he cleaned and began to stitch the cut that ran vertically down my upper arm. That was definitely going to scar.

"It's not your fault," He told her assuringly but she just shook her head and walked out of the office leaving Carlisle and I alone.

I stayed silent, making no gesture to talk to him. I needed time to process everything that had just happened. I still don't even understand what just happened.

The sweet, loving boy I had fallen in love with, became a bloodthirsty monster in the matter of seconds.

"Jasper hasn't been away from human blood as long as the rest of us," He spoke softly trying to make me feel better. I looked away from him and out the window, not really wanting to talk at the moment. After a moment of silence I built the courage to look up at him.

"How do you do it?" I whispered, my voice cracking slightly as tears pooled my eyes. Why was I such a wimp? I cried all the damn time I hated it.

"Years and years of practice," He tells me honestly not looking up from his task on my arm.

"Did you ever think of, you know, doing it the easy way? Just giving in to the natural instinct to hunt humans?" I ask him curiously. I don't know why I was asking so many questions. Frankly, I didn't know if I wanted the answers.

My hand gripped his shirt a little tighter as he continued to painfully stitch the wound.

"No. I knew who I wanted to be. I wanted to help people. It brings me happiness, even if I am damned regardless," He tells me honestly. I knit my eyebrows in confusion at his mention of being damned. His answer troubled me.

"Damned? Like hell? Carlisle how could someone like you ever be damned?" I ask him confused as to why he thought that. There was no way any of them could be. He only looks at me seriously for a moment before looking back down at his work.

"Thank you Genevieve. You and Bella have always been very gracious about us," Carlisle looked back up at me with a tight smile. He didn't believe what I was saying, even though he appreciated it.

"I know Jasper didn't mean to hurt me or Bella," I begin taking a deep breath moving on from the tense subject. "But I can't help but to still be afraid," I tell him honestly. I wasn't really sure why I was telling him this, but nevertheless I trusted him.

"If I wanted to be with him forever. I mean what I'm trying to ask is. Would it be easier if I was a vampire?" I ask looking up at him. He paused for a moment not making a movement. He slowly turns his gaze to me.

"Genevieve. You don't want to be damned. You don't want this life," He says finishing up the stitches. He quickly lights the old gauze in the bowl on fire to get rid of the smell.