iii.

••

••

I plopped down onto the mattress that lay on the wooden floor. Brown boxes littered the room reminding me that I've barely made a dent in the unpacking process. I glanced at my phone noticing a text from Stella lit up the dull screen. A small smile played at my lips as I read the message.

"Really missing you G, I hope everything in Forks goes well and just now I'm always here just a phone call away."

My heart ached at the sweet message. I missed her so much already and it had only been a couple days since we arrived in Forks. School started back from spring break on Monday. It was now Sunday afternoon and my stomach churned at the thought of going to school again.

Not only because school is gross, but now I don't know anyone at this gross school. I responded to Stella's message and clicked my phone shut. I lay on my bed and stare at the ceiling, daydreaming of how my first day at Forks High would go.

Maybe I'd make some good friends. I didn't really have a lot back in Virginia. Mostly just Sam and Stella. Sam. My face contorted at the thought of his name.

I didn't speak to him after that day and left without another word. He texted me almost everyday apologizing for what happened and wanting me back.

I glanced at my wrist and saw the still purple bruise that wrapped around it. It was obvious how I got it, the bruises were in the shape of fingerprints. A high pitched tone rung throughout the house, notifying me that someone was a the door. Who could possibly be here? We just got here 3 days ago.

I heard unfamiliar voices coming from downstairs so I decided to go and investigate. I made my way down the stairs to be met with my parents talking to someone.

I glanced over and saw it was a tall brown-headed man, he was dressed in a brown cop uniform and his badge read 'Swan'. I followed his form and saw a smaller pale girl standing beside him. Her hair was the same chocolate brown as the man who stood beside her. Her eyes were a deep brown and her skin was like porcelain.

"Genevieve don't be rude, come say hi to our new neighbors." My mother chided me from my spot behind the stairwell. I gave them an awkward smile and stood in front of them beside my parents. The man with the bushy mustache returned the awkward smile and reached out his hand towards me. I happily took it.

"Hi, I'm Charlie Swan, chief of police in Forks. This is my daughter Bella." He said releasing my hand and nodding his head towards the smaller girl. I looked her up and down before giving her a warm smile and extending my hand towards her.

She gave me a smile back and shook my hand. "Bella here actually just moved back in with me from Arizona. I figured it's such a small town that it would be nice for the girls to at least know each other before their first day at a new school." He finished while still giving me a small smile.

"Hey, you wanna ride to school tomorrow?" Bella suddenly asks turning to me, ignoring our parent's current boring conversation. I nod silently giving her a wide grin.