Chapter 18

Chapter 18: Market

       In the general public library of Lura, Rinku in the first-floor corner of the Library has been engrossed in reading.

He has been reading books for hours since he arrived at the library. Currently, inside, Rinku was on the first floor.

On the first floor, it is where the common books and information about general knowledge and common sense were located. Even though Rinku is a native of this world, he was ashamed to admit that his knowledge about things is lacking.

It was like he was a foreigner...

Through it wasn't his fault that aside from being the village pariah. Living in a recluse village with little knowledge hasn't also helped. And there were also his recent years of seclusion from the villagers and absorbing knowledge that was out of this world... Literally.

He doesn't know if the knowledge that he has gained from his Teacher and the books given to him can be compared to the knowledge that they have in this world. So he was here in the library filling the gap in his knowledge.

Thanks to reading books in the library, he also came across a book called [ General Guide to Lura Capital ] which was recommended to him by one of the librarians earlier.

After a while of spending his time reading, Rinku decided to stop and head towards the market in Lura Capital which thankfully, the receptionist pointed out to him earlier.

While he spent his one week here with the Coco Adventurer party, unfortunately going into the Market wasn't one of them. That's why he was clueless about its location and could only ask the receptionist earlier from the Free Guild.

After thanking one of the librarians, Rinku left the library and followed the instruction of the receptionist from the Free Guild given to him earlier. Eventually, Rinku arrived at a bustling and lively market. The market is located in the Merchant District of Lura Capital. It was also noisy which wasn't good for his sensitive ears.

Rinku who have been used to the quiet atmosphere of the forest and spending in seclusion was experiencing a strange sense of unfamiliarity.

There were a lot of people and some glanced at him before returning to their businesses. Customers and vendors alike. Feeling their stares, Rinku feels flustered. Thankfully, they have quickly averted their gazes.

Maybe... Being in the Market wasn't a good idea. Rinku thought inside his mind.

Looking and walking around in the Market for a while, eventually, Rinku started to calm down and get used to the lively and bustling atmosphere. He was also starting to grow fascinated with the liveliness of the place. Different kinds of things and items were being sold.

Rinku can even see some potential customers haggling around the vendors. Other stall owners are refusing with the haggling while some sigh in defeat and bend to the haggling request. The victorious customers have a smug and victorious expressions on them.

Food like vegetables, fruits, meat, and spices are being sold in some of the shops. Different items both common and unusual are available in the market. Rinku has even seen some hygiene items lying around to be sold. And there was also a perfume shop.

Eventually, Rinku came across the less populated part of the Market. Rinku felt like he had stepped into a different place. This part of the marketplace wasn't lively or bustling. Looking around, Rinku saw the vendors dressed up in mysterious fashions.

Jasper supplied him that they were dressed 'suspiciously and sketchy.' Most of these vendors are dressed in robes. And Rinku has even seen one of the vendors having an eye-catching scar from his eye to his mouth.

Rinku's eyes lit up when he saw one of the shops. Then Rinku stared at the vendor who was in that particular stall. It was a middle-aged man dressed in brown robes. The vendor looks intimidating because of his build and height. Despite being dressed in robes, the robust build of the vendor couldn't be hidden. And finally, there were the vendor's eyes which looks like he would kill you with his intense gaze.

Probably noticing Rinku's gaze and his approaching his shop, the vendor scowled.

" I have no plans of entertaining kids! If you aren't here to buy, get out of my stall! "

Rinku pursed his lips. Looks like the vendor's intimidating appearance and attitude matched each other. Rinku couldn't help but compare the vendor a little with the villagers who have refused him to buy things in their shop. But Rinku knows that the vendor would be different from the villagers.

Beneath Rinku's robe, he took out his bundle of coins. The Vendor notices them and his attitude change immediately.

" Since looks like you are here to buy, Feel free to look! But if the books are damaged, then you would need to pay for them! "

Rinku nodded his head to the vendor and started browsing the books. The reason why the shop caught Rinku's attention... The items in the vendor's shop are not normal books but a bunch of spell books.

According to Jasper, it was probably a bunch of beginner-type spell books and Rinku does not need them. On the other hand, Avicebron wants Rinku to buy the book. The servant told him that Rinku could use the spell books as a reference and study material when it comes to discovering the difference between the Magecraft of Nasuverse and the spells of this world.  It could also help him in spell construction if he was ever interested to dabble in that field.

The vendor doesn't appear to be a normal person at all. He felt like Miss Garnet. Then, he should be a mage like her.

After a while of browsing the shop, Rinku finally decided on the spellbooks that he would buy.

[ Fire ]

[ Freeze ]

[ Wind Gust ]

[ Clean Wash ]

[ Healthcare ]

[ Protection ]

Staring at the spell books that Rinku have stacked together, the vendor frowned and glared.

" You sure that you have enough coin to buy all of the books? The total is 18 gold coins, kid. "

Rinku froze when he heard the prize. He doesn't have enough dwarven gold coins to pay for all of the spell books. It seems that he wouldn't be able to buy all of them.

{ Master, I think that you are being taken advantage of! There's no way that all of these low-level spells are worth that much! }

Rinku frowned when he heard Jasper's words inside his mind.

{ I agree with the kaleidostaff's sentiment Master Rinku. And I think that you may have entered an unsavory part of this marketplace. }

And he also heard Avicebron's approval of Jasper and his suspicions. But before he could form his decision,  Rinku turned around when he heard a commotion in the distance. There were a lot of footsteps approaching this way.

Rinku could see the other vendors' faces become pale.

" This is the Knights monitoring public order! Stop what you are doing right now! "

{ Master, it seems that you can't buy those spells anymore. }

Avicebron told Rinku inside his mind. His voice has a little trace of lament on them. Sighing, Rinku felt disappointed. Other than not being able to buy those spellbooks, it seems that he has walked himself into a troublesome situation.