Chapter 22

YANNE

It's been a week since nong madalas na umaalis sila mommy. Hindi ko alam ang mga lakad nila dahil minsan puro biglaan. Hanggang sa isang araw i heard mommy and daddy talking to the office like they're talking about something serious.

"If we're not going to tell them now, how? love how? mahihirapan sila lalo na si Yanne" When i heard my name i got confused.

"I'm looking for a perfect time to tell them not now please... i hope you understand i just don't want her to get hurt" Hindi gaanong clear ang naririnig ko mula sa loob, it's not my intention to eavesdrop on what my parents are talking about inside the office.

"That's normal Irene, people get hurt! even if you tell that she's a strong lady, she'll still get hurt!" When daddy's voice raised, i didn't hesitate to open the door.

Mom immediately wiped the tears on her face before she looked at me. Her nose is already red now siguro ay kanina pa siya umiiyak.

"Come here anak" Mom tapped the space beside her, I sat there.

"Is it okay if you'll stay with your mama Imee or with mama in the Ilocos for a while if it's okay?" I don't know what's happening now, why all of the sudden they want me to stay in mama Imee's house or in Ilocos?

"Why is there something wrong po?" I asked, mommy shook her head as she wiped the tears that keep on flowing on her cheeks.

"Nothing just asking you if you want to go to your mama Imee muna or go to Ilocos since dad and i is quite busy these fast few weeks" Yeah i know that, kaya siguro gusto nila akong kay mama Imee muna e dahil alam nilang busy sila at hindi nila gaano akong naaasikaso.

I smiled.

"Okay!" Mom smiled, kasabay ng pag tulo ng luha niya. I wiped some tears that flowing on her cheeks.

"Stop crying na po look at your nose oh it's already red na and your eyes, it's quite swollen already" Mom chuckled as she sniffed.

"My, if you have a problem you can tell it to me po okay? you can count on me" Mom nodded.

IRENE

I already want to tell Yanne my condition but there is a side of me not wanting to tell her because i know she'll get hurt, and now i made up my mind, I'm not going to tell Yanne yet but I'm going to tell Lu and Fonso.

"Better tell them in person," Manang Imee said from the other line. They already knew about my condition alam na nilang lahat maliban sa tattlo and now i made a decision that I'm going to tell Lu and Fonso about my condition.

"I already texted them earlier manang, sinabihan ko na silang pumunta dito"

"Okay that's good wag mo silang biglain hinay hinay lang"

"Manang, ipapahatid ko si Yanne diyan bukas, alam kong hindi niya kayang hindi ako kasma pero i wanted her to be prepared"

"I understand. Now I'll end this call so that you can rest na" I nodded even if she can't see me.

"Okay bye" I ended the call.

Time passed so fast nine in the evening when Lu and Fonso arrived at the house.

"What is it ma?" I let out a heavy sigh first before i answered their questions. Nasa garden kami ngayon and their wives was inside the house.

"I don't know where to start–" I got interrupted when someone tapped my shoulder and it was Greggy.

"Sorry to interrupt you guys I'll just ask mom something" He said and sit beside me.

"Did you already drink your medicine?" He asked in a whisper way, i nodded. He was about to leave but i stopped him.

"Please don't" I was shooking my head while telling those words. It's like he understand what I'm trying to tell him because he stayed beside me.

I let our a heavy sigh again before i speak.

"That's too heavy ma, why what's the matter?" Fonso asked. This is it.

"Kuyas, please don't get mad at mommy for keeping a secret i know i promised not to keep secrets but i don't have a choice but to keep this secret... it's just that i don't want you guys to get hurt..." Silence hit us for a while.

"Ma ang tagal naiinip na ako" Bahagya kaming natawa sa sinabi ni Fonso.

"I know you've noticed that I'm losing some weight not that I'm on a diet but the reason is it's one of the symptoms of cancer..." A tear slowly dripped on my cheeks.

"We already know that mommy" Mabilis kong nilipat ang tingin ko sakanila.

"What? i mean how?" I asked curiously.

"Yanne is always updating us on our group chat 'yong kaming tattlo lang tapos when we're still in Ilocos Fonso and I noticed something strange with your moves" Lu explained, i didn't expect them to know about my condition in that way.

"Tapos kanina when i went in your room i saw one of your medicines sa side table, we're just waiting for you to confirm our suspicion you know," I looked at Greggy who's now chuckling beside me.

"Oh my god..." Napa hawak nalang ako sa noo ko. Kahit kelan talaga hindi ka makaka pag tago ng sekreto sa dalawang 'to.

"We understand why you keep your condition secret, ang kinakakot lang namin ay kapag nalaman ni Yanne 'to baka baka mag wala" Lu said. He's right.

"I will tell her slowly and when i already have the guts to tell her about my condition i will"

We stayed longer at the garden talking about something not until Yanne joined us. Pinausog ni Yanne ang kuya niya para maka upo sa tabi ko dahil sa gitna naman daw talaga amg pwesto niya.

They're teasing each other, nag kakampihan si Lu at Fonso dahilan kung bakit mas lalong nainis si Yanne.

"I hate you! pinag tutulungan niyo ako, gusto niyo bang sabihin ko kela ate yong mga katarantaduhan niyo nong nasa Ilocos tayo?!" She said annoyingly.

She was about to go inside but Fonso hug her tight while Yanne is trying to get off to her kuya Fonso's tight hug.

"Lu go close the sliding door!" Fonso shouted. Lu immediately went to the sliding door to close it. Pagbalik niya sa upuan niya sakto naman ang pag ka wala ni Yanne kay Fonso.

"Please don't! I don't want to sleep on the living room!" Fonso shouted when Yanne finally get off to him.

Lu is trying to block her, para silang nag papatintiro dito sa garden. They're busy blocking each other while their dad and i is quietly chuckling on the side.

"Look at them they're already grown up, it's just like yesterday when they first saw their sister" I said softly as i rested my head on his shoulder.

"Yeah time flies so fast and we are not ready for this," He whispered.

"Thank you" He added making me look at him.

"For what?" I asked.

"For taking good care of them... of us"

"Isn't that what a wife and mother do to her husband and children? to take good care of her husband and children?" I asked while i raised both of my eyebrows.

"Yes, that's what wife and mother do that is why I'm saying thank you to you kasi sobra pa sa sobra ka mag alaga" He said then kissed my forehead making me close my eyes for a bit.

"I love you..." I whispered.

"I have loved you since the day you said yes" That made me smile.

I wish we can stay like this forever.