じゅう

juu

juu

ten

* GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION OF VIVISECTION*

Grandpa had always been like that then. Tough on the exterior. Trying to act as if he wasn't something or didn't feel something. But she knew he did feel. He knew then that he indeed loved her. But Grandma was right. He had too much pride... too much ego to admit it. It was something that could never be. Something that never should have happened. Of course, the admittance of his feelings would threaten everything for him, wouldn't it?

"Sami?" Looking up from the journal entry, she found Mere smiling down at her.

"Hm?"

"Reading that book again?" Smiling to herself, she put it down.

"Yeah, it's one you can't put down."

"What's it about?"

"Oh, just some old war stories and memoirs and stuff."

"It looks like a real journal, wow. Whoever published that did a heck of a job." Agreeing, she tucked the journal away from her into the side of the couch.

"Summer's coming to a close soon. Can you believe it?" Mere sat back against the couch with a sigh.

"Summers here are never that long anyway. And now we're in for a brutal winter."

"Hm."

"Hey, Sami?"

"Hm?"

"Are you sad?" Grandpa. Swallowing, she tried her best to answer as lighthearted as she could.

"Do you think Grandpa is sad?"

"I don't know... I mean... if I only had six weeks to live I'd be trying to get out here and go do stuff."

"Yeah but he's done a lot. Maybe he wants to be at home and relax ya know?"

"I guess."

"Grandpa's his usual self and as long as he's okay then I'll be okay." Accepting the answer, Mere pat her leg.

"I'm gonna make some watermelon skewers."

"Ooh, yummy."

"Call ya when lunch is done."

"'Kay Mere. Thanks!" Laying her head back against the couch, she closed her eyes. It tore her up inside. To know that her grandpa was dying a death that he thought he deserved. It broke her heart that he felt so alone. But then, it brought her the tiniest bit of comfort knowing that in the way of fate, soon they would be reunited.