にじゅうきゅう

niijuukyuu

twenty-nine

A hand helped a woman from a sleek black car. Gently, it placed the woman's smaller one on his arm. Up marble stairs, doors were pulled open, and bright light and glass twinkled up above them. Out of all the couples to make their arrival, they were the most peculiar. Eyes took in the tall strapping man in a Japanese military uniform, his hands in pristine white gloves and a matching white plume sticking out of his cap. His arm piece shocked them most of all. Dressed in a form-fitting black velvet dress, a sheer overlay swished against the floor, leaving nothing about her petite hourglass figure to the imagination. On her arms, she wore a snow-white shadow blue fox beret and matching oversized fur stole, the tails of the fox draping delicately against her frame.

Whispers surrounded them as they entered the grand ballroom and an obvious hush fell across the invitees as a butler removed her stole and took her beret. Tawny skin was abundant and her cleavage was ample yet tasteful thanks to the cut of the neckline.

"She's pretty for a nigger. I'll give her that."

"Wasn't she the one who performed for the President in May?"

"I think so." Her hair was pulled back from her forehead and pinned, a large puffy bouffant towards the bottom gave her an incredible shape and it was oh-so-classy.

"What's the Jap's name again?"

"Matsuda I think." Said man removed his over-the-top military hat and once more offered her his arm to which she accepted. Eyes glued to their forms as they took seats, near the President's entourage. Lips pinched and pursed as the man leaned in to whisper something to the woman. Soft soothing strings played and light laughter and clink of glasses spread throughout the space.

"If I may have your attention, please." The voice of the 33rd President captured everyone's attention and all chatter soon ceased.

"Tonight is a special evening for a member of our audience. He has greatly impressed us as an envoy and ambassador of Japan." At that, eyes once more turned to him, who appeared unbothered as he lifted a stout whiskey to his mouth.

"He has made great strides towards the peace of our respective nations and I sincerely hope that he will remain as a dear friend of the United States." Grey-blue eyes singled him out and so did the eyes of his cabinet.

"Let's give First Lieutenant Ichiro Matsuda a round of applause." Almost robotically, the guests began to clap and he, well he remained sitting, lifting a glass of water to his mouth to drink.

"Something else special about tonight is that it is his birthday." Surprised and some delighted gasps echoed in the atmosphere.

"How old are you turning Matsuda?"