にじゅうろく

niijuuroku

twenty-six

June

1947

Miss Jones,

Since you'll have me, I will travel from California to Chicago in a few days' time. I've purchased a train ticket and expect to see you in about two to three days. I look forward to seeing you.

M

***

"So, who this man again in this letter?"

"My beau momma."

"Mmhm. Where you meet this beau yours?" It had been rehearsed.... she'd formulated a whole story as to explain him... It hurt her to even consider lying to her momma but she wasn't left without much choice.

"We met at one of my performances."

"And you say he a veteran?"

"Yes ma'am."

"What branch he serve in?"

"Army."

"Ah-huh."

"Now Momma, he's comin all the way from California to see us. He wanna meet you real bad."

"Where his people from?" A sharp slice cut into her stomach.

"He's of Japanese descent Momma...member I told you before?" Her mother had the same look on her face that she did when she'd told her the last time. One of severe displeasure. Her whole face twisted up like she smelt something rotten.

"How the hell you end up pickin' one of them damned Japs Beatrice Grace? Gawd in Heaven, they no good."

"Ma..."

"I don't care what you say. They no good. Far as I'm concerned, all of em should gon back where they came from."

"But what if they from here?" She countered, wiping her sweaty palms on her dress. The sour face intensified.

"If they was born and raised here, where they supposed to go? Ain't they jus' as American as we are?"

"Hm. All these well educated and fine Negroes up here and you go and get you one of them rice eaters."

"That ain't nice."

"Well, I lookin' out for you. You the only chile I got left. I be damned I lose you." Swallowing thickly, she kissed her temple.