にじゅうはち

niijuuhachi

twenty-eight

The ride back to her mother's house was quiet and tense. She turned her body away from him and he looked out of the window at the glittering pavement and night-covered yards and houses. When they finally reached her driveway, the cab driver glanced wearily into the mirror at the two of them, unexplainably dark energy crackling between them.

"Payment, sir." The Asian man took his eyes off of the woman and moved them to his. Feeling sweat bead up on the back of his neck, he watched as the man reached into his pockets, pulling out a wallet, hands stained with blood. Almost too calmly, he handed him more than the ride was worth and got out, opening the door for the lady. Gas and tires screeched away from them, leaving them once more in silence. She reached up to remove her hat and began to talk up the dark pathway to the front door.

"You're upset." Turning, she found him much closer than she expected, hands hanging down by his sides.

"Upset isn't the right word." She replied, reaching into her purse for the key.

"Then, what is the right word?" Exhaling as she felt his arms come around her, her hands slackened against her purse.

"You didn't have to kill him."

"I didn't kill him."

"You don't know that. He could be dead by now."

"If you're expecting me to apologize for what happened, don't. I won't." Turning to face him, she gripped her hat tightly in her hands.

"What's the difference, Bea?"

"What?"

"When I cut off Doctor Nakakawa's earlobe, you didn't react like this. Some stranger in a club and now you're pissed. What's the difference?" She opened her mouth to respond but found no words.

"You know what kind of man I am. What I'm capable of."

"Yeah but..."

"I won't change just because you and I love each other." Jaw tight, she let him pull her close, his mouth now against her jaw.

"I'm liable to do a lot of things you're not going to like because I'm in love with you."

"So if some man tomorrow decides to look at me you're gonna stab him?"

"No. If he tries to come on to you and disrespects you, I will stab him." Releasing a short exhale, she rolled her eyes.

"You're impossible."