じゅうろく

juuroku

sixteen

Mid- to late April

1945

"When you aim your weapon, be mindful of the recoil." He circled around the group of young men, arm behind his back. In a fresh uniform, he eyed the young draftees as they attempted to learn.

"With the Type 92, you must be careful not to injure your shoulder upon impact. This weapon is a machine gun which means that it fires multiple rounds of ammunition simultaneously. " As he walked down the line of them, live targets were placed in front of them. Some of the men, women, and children began to cry, others stony-faced.

"The trigger is highly sensitive and will fire. Be mindful of this also." To his surprise, one enlisted soldier got up from the ground and turned to face him. Indignation in his gaze.

"How are you to instruct us when you can not even get onto the ground to fire the gun?" At once, every single soldier paused, even the ones tying the human targets to the posts. He clenched his jaw and a vein appeared in his temple. He had been waiting for it. The newest class of cadets was far too eager for battle and considerably unteachable. He had maintained patience and good grace but even those came at a limit.

"Be very careful, cadet." He warned, walking right up to the boy.

"Of what? Your fake leg falling off?" Other than the slight flaring of his nostrils, he remained otherwise emotionless.

"You lost your manhood when the Americans blew your leg off. You can't teach me anything."

"Arimoto, you're out of order!"

"He pretends to be this high and mighty leader but he is a hypocrite. He doesn't know which side he wants to be on, ours or the enemy."

"Resume your position, soldier." He commanded, trying to restore order.

"Rumor has it that you have an American woman in your barracks. A Negro whore. Does she fill your head with enemy lies when she screws you?"

"Arimoto, cease the behavior this insta-" To the shock of them all, the boy kicked his foot outward, causing the flimsy temporary prosthetic to buckle and fall off. At once he lost his balance and fell to the ground.

"You're a disgrace. A crippled Japanese Lieutenant who fucks Americans. I'll take no orders from you."

"He's drunk, take him back to the barracks." He thought to let it go, him reeking of alcohol. But this unfortunate soldier had just as quickly ended his career as soon as he'd started it.