さんじゅう

sanjuu

thirty

1948

Mid- January

Kurashiki, Japan

The crunch of snow filled the road, and up above the sky let large snowflakes loose, cold and icy as they fell upon the flesh of arm. Cheeks and noses were deep red and hands were nearly frozen. Up above, the steam of a chimney gave hearts a beat or two more and feet hurried. Sliding thick wooden doors back, two slipped inside.

"Ah! Welcome back!"

"Tadaima."

"Come in and dry off." The two followed a woman into the house, sliding off their wet cold shoes for slippers. The house felt warm and cozy, like a comforting blanket.

"Minato! Ichiro-kun and his wife are back!" Feet led them to the sitting room and at once, they lowered to sit. The man's eyes were kind and friendly and he smiled boyishly.

"We won't be here long, Minato-kun. Just until we get settled."

"Off the plane and already you're burdening yourself." Those eyes fell to her who sat next to him, legs tucked to the side of her. Lifting a cup of hot tea to his lips to blow, Minato grinned.

"I didn't think you'd come home with a wife."

"Fiancee. We're not legally married yet."

"Who needs a paper when in your heart you are already married?" He watched his friend's cheeks grow pink.

"I understand. And hey, don't worry yourself Ichiro-kun. You haven't been home for more than a couple of weeks. Relax."

"You didn't have to let us stay here... I'm indebted to you."

"Stop. You're family." He offered no argument and bowed toward Minato's mother who brought in cups of warm tea.

"You've always had a place here, Ikki. Don't forget that you and Mina-chan are like brothers." Bowing his head lower, the woman gently pat his head.

"What is your name, dear?" Blinking at the woman's question, the woman appeared frazzled as she tried to think of the words to respond.

"Ah...Bea-Beatrice. My name is Beatrice." The older woman smiled at her and beckoned her with a hand.