Chapter 2

"As you know, we've started investing in smaller companies in hopes of helping them to become something bigger. Something more," Mateo says as he leans back in his chair, his right leg resting on the second leg. About a year ago, the company decided to start investing in smaller, uprising companies. We get a portion of their business, and in return, help them become something. We've only invested in one company so far, and it went from being worth $250,000 to $2.5 million dollars within a year -- impressive, right? Obviously our first company is striving, so it does not shock me that they want to start again with another company -- I just do not understand what this has to do with the presidents.

"While running this company, along with our first investment, my hands are tied and I need someone to over look this operation. The job is simple, you will provide the start up with all the materials they need and over look the process -- along with making sure all contracts are being followed--" Mateo says before he is cut off by Jorge.

"Ultimately, it'll be like it's your company; but every other week, you'll be reporting to Mateo and myself about what is going on with the company. And we already have chosen who we'd like to run it," Jorge says with a smirk on his face. He's the nicer one of the two; much more happy and lighthearted than Mateo. That's one thing about Mateo that bothers me -- he's so cold. Always so serious and to business, never laughing and smiling -- enjoying life.

Everyone sits in their seats, boosting at the seams with anticipation of who is going to be the one to run the company, or help with it. Personally, I think it'll be Catalina, her work performance has been out of this world this year -- and frankly she deserves something more than what work is offering her. And I don't say that because she's my best friend.

As everyone sits in their seats, Mateo looks at me with this look in his eyes -- almost like he is trying to tell me something. I can't quite figure it out, but it doesn't matter because after staring into his eyes for 5 seconds too long, Jorge interrupts the moment and interrupts my process of thoughts when he says, "We've chosen Antonella. With that being said, I appreciate everyone taking time out of their schedules to come to this meeting, this next step in the company will benefit everyone. Thanks again for coming, and Antonella, keep on the look out for an email from Christina about the next phases," Jorge says as he stands and smiles, while buttoning up his suit jacket. Everyone else gets up from the meeting, gathering their stuff and smiling at me with congratulations. I just sit there in shock, me? How am I the one that is going to be getting this new task? A task that could potentially ruin the company -- and my career!

As I get up from my seat, I gather my things, still shocked at the news that was given to me. As I leave the conference room, I find Mateo leaning against the wall, scrolling through something on his phone (I assume it is emails since we are in the work place). I decide that I am going to get my latte from the café, as I have a feeling I'm going to need it. I stop by my cubicle first and drop off my laptop and coat since I was unable to this morning. As I walk towards the elevator, I stop by Catalina's cubicle and ask if she wants to get lunch with me today, like we do every other day. She looks at me and chuckles, nodding her head as she goes back to answering emails. I roll my eyes and walk towards the elevator

As I enter, I see a hand stop the doors from closing, and long behold, it's Mateo. He looks at me and smiles, again. I nod slightly and press for the first floor, noticing that this is the first time I'm this close to him. He looks at me and just as he opens his mouth, the elevator doors open for my floor and I step out... making sure I smile and wave prior to leaving. A part of me wants to know what he was going to say, but a part of me is more excited about finally getting my latte. I go up to the counter and the cashier smiles as she types my order in -- I come here so often that they always seems to remember my order. As I wait for my drink, I get a ding on my phone, noticing that it is an email from my work account, I open it. I notice that it's from Mateo? Usually his secretary, Gina, emails anyone if he needs something.

The email reads...

Ms. Garcia, 

Meet me in my office at 11:00am. 

Thanks, 

M.H. 

I look at the top left corner, noticing that it is 9:30am right now. "An hour and a half till then; wonderful" I think to myself as I grab my latte.

What could he possibly need from me? Maybe what he was going to tell me in the elevator? Whatever it is, it must be important, and now, for the second time today, I'm breaking a sweat as I think about him.

-

-

-

Author's note:

Hi there! Hope you enjoyed the chapter! :)

What do you think that Mateo wants to meet Antonella about?

Thanks for continuing to stick around; means a lot and I love having you here!

xoxo,

Ashley