Chapter 4

I walk into Mateo's office and immediately am hit with the smell. It smells just like him, manly and husk. Honestly, I'm not sure how to describe it but trust me when I say, it smells amazing. Mateo motions for me to sit at one of the chairs in front of his desk; as he sits down -- making sure to unbutton his suit jacket and check something on his laptop. I take this opportunity to look around his office. He has two, floor to ceiling, bookshelves behind his desk -- stacked to the brim in books. I smile to myself, I never really took him as a reader before. On one wall, there are a few pictures of him with an older man and women, whom I assume are his parents. Behind us, closer to the door, there is a fish tank with two very colorful fish. Then there are two couches that face one another, with a coffee table in between it. The office is simple, yet professional. Just like Mateo. When I turn back towards the desk, I see him just staring at me. I cough a little, fixing myself in the chair. When I meet his eyes, I notice that he doesn't seem mad? More like, he's intrigued, wanting to know what I think of the office.

"Uhm, I'm sorry. I was just looking around the office, it's very nice, simple," I say with a small smile -- hoping that whatever anger he has is gone. He looks at me as he leans back in his chair, crossing his legs. He always gives off such a professional, yet relaxed vibe. He is stone cold, with no emotion to show, but he's confident. Anyone in their right mind can see that. He takes control, he knows what he's doing in life and in his business. I like that about him, he's ability to always take charge and show people how it's done.

"Thank you, I'm glad you approve. I don't like overly decorated offices, they make my head hurt," He says has he crosses his hands over his stomach. Still stone cold, no smile, no smirk, no chuckle. That's just Mateo -- always so serious. Many people are intimidated by him; since he's one of the most successful business owners in the country, not to mention his ability to go through life without showing any sign of life. But it doesn't scare me, for whatever reason.

"Well, it's nice. But onto more important matters, why you called me in here; I don't want to waste any more of your time," I say as I look down at my pen and paper, writing the date and time down -- making sure I prep the page for any notes I may (and more than likely) will take.

"Yes, well, I wanted to thank you again for taking on the new investment project. I apologize for not talking to you about it prior to the meeting, I've just been so caught up in everything else. But, I wanted to make sure that you were comfortable about it and have any question? I see that Christina already emailed you the next step phases," He says while he looks at me, trying to figure me out. I'm shocked, to say the least. Mateo has always been known for not helping many employees. He always tells us at our big staff meetings that we have a job we've been trained for, and should be able to perform it. I know that anyone who has questions usually goes to his assistant, Gina, or they go to Jorge. But the fact that he took time out of his day, to make sure I was comfortable, makes me feel good. It makes me feel appreciated and respected.

"Wow, I did not expect this at all. Thank you so much for taking the time to make sure I'm okay -- which I am. I'm a little nervous about the marketing since I haven't done that all too much, but I'm sure I'll be able to get it in not time," I say with a reassuring look on my face. I want him to know that I'm willing and able to do this project, that I'm capable of handling this. I don't want him to have any doubt in his mind.

"Well, that leads me to the real reason I called you in here. I'd like to work with you, personally, on the marketing. I heard that it is not your strongest suit, and I want to make sure you succeed," He says to me as he slightly smiles, still not showing too much emotion. I'm shocked, again. Mateo wants to work, with me? On marketing? I am, lost for words. Never, in a million years, would I have expected this to happen. He's always so serious and on point about us being able to do our jobs without help.

"Wow, I did not expect that. You don't have to do that, I know you're super busy with all of... this," I say as I look around the room, motioning towards the office. I don't want him to think I'm blowing him off -- I want him to know that I am considering his feelings. I don't want him to become overly busy with work or not be able to handle the company because he's helping me. Instead, he just looks at me, stone cold. Showing me that he is not joking nor is he playing around. He's serious, dead serious. I can see it in his face. It causes me to become a little flushed, feeling my cheeks turning hot.

"Oh no, please I want to. I want to make sure you're secure in what you're doing. Here, give me your personal number so it's easier to contact you," He says as he leans forward, handing me a post-it note. I take it and write my number on it, making sure to write a smiley face afterwards. I really want him to know how appreciative I am of this, it's not everyday that you get to work one-on-one with the boss -- especially if that boss is Mateo.

"Thank you again, I appreciate it beyond words,"

"Don't worry about it, you'll do great. You can see yourself out," He says as he motions towards the door, looking down at his computer. I stand up and walk out, more than exciting to get started working. Not only am I getting this new, majorly important project, but I'm getting to work with Mateo. As I leave, I smile and wave to Gina, she does the same. I walk towards the elevator and look at my watch, "11:45am". I decide to text Catalina and see if she's ready for lunch -- which she responds yes, telling me to meet her down at the café. As the elevator door opens, I press for the first floor. Once the door closes, I take a deep breathe and close my eyes, silently thanking the universe for this opportunity. As soon as the doors open for the first floor, I get a ding on my phone.

Hey, it's Mateo :)

Look at that.

-

-

-

Author's Note: 

Hi there! Longer chapter, hope you enjoyed it :)

So, the meeting is over -- what'd we think? Also, would be interested in Mateo's pov? Let me know :)

Thanks for sticking around, I appreciate it and I appreciate you :)

xoxo,

Ashley