Chapter 5

As I walk into the café, I notice that Catalina is not at our usual table. We've eaten lunch together everyday for the past four years, at the same table. It's right by the windows but it's in the far back corner... away from everything else. I walk over to the table and put my stuff down, then walk over to the counter and order a Chicken Caesar Salad. I always eat a lighter lunch since breakfast and dinner are my heavier meals. Once I get the salad, I sit down at the table and stare at Mateo's message. I didn't expect him to message me so fast after the meeting, Honestly, I didn't expect him to message me at all unless it was something work related. After staring at the message for what feels like forever, I decide to respond to him. After all, he is my boss and it was just a simple "hello".

Hi there! Thanks so much again for helping with the investment, it means a lot :)

Just as I hit send on the message, Catalina walks over to me with a big smile on her face and a salad in her hand. She gets the same thing everyday, a garden salad with extra dressing on the side. She's like me, very routine in her ways -- she's just always late to everything.

"Hey there, sorry I'm late. I got caught up in an email that Valeria sent," She says as she sits down, setting her meal up. Valeria is another president. Similar to Catalina and I, she's younger, only being 32 years old. I haven't really spoken to her much, she's fairly new and keeps to herself, but always very sweet whenever we talk.

"It's alright, I came here after the meeting with Mateo," I say, taking a bite of my salad. Other than myself, Catalina is the only one who knows of my crush with the boss; and she never fails to make a little fun of me about it.

"Oh my god, that's right. A meeting with your long time lover -- how'd it go?" She says with a chuckle. I smile, then fill her in on the meeting. From the way he kept staring at me, to him offering to help me with the investment; despite not helping anyone at all with work. All while I'm telling the story, she's shocked, similar to the way I was.

"Okay okay, so you're saying that Mateo, Mr. 'I don't help anyone because they should be trained to do their job', offered to help you? And then he texted you?" She says as I nod. Just after she finishes her statement, my phone goes ding and we both look at the phone, knowing exactly who it is from.

Oh, it's no worries.

Then, about a minute later...

How are you?

We both stare at the phone, me angling myself so she can see the phone as I hold it in my hand. After a whole minute of us just staring at the phone, she looks at me like I've got three heads.

"Um helloooo, earth to Antonella. Are you going to respond or are we going to stare at the phone all day?" She says, waving a hand in front of my face and chuckling.

"Well, what do I say? I don't want to come off as overly eager to text him," I say, looking at her as I motion towards the phone. Although I am more than excited that we're texting (although talking would be a 100x better), I don't want to seem clingy? Or for him to think I act like some high school teenager.

"Just respond back and play it cool. Act like it's just another conversation with me or Hector. Don't overly be excited but also, don't seem uninterested," She says, shoving her face with salad. I look at my phone, and decide to do just that. Respond cool, without seeming uninterested.

I'm good, eating some lunch in the café right now -- gotta fuel our bodies! How are you?

Once I hit send, I show it to Catalina. She makes a face, it's not a pure disgusted face but it's also not a face of confusion. Honestly, I am not sure what her face is expressing right now.

"Uh Ella, did you really say 'gotta fuel our bodies'? Because you honestly sound like a total nerd who is trying way too hard," She says as she looks at me with a weak smile. I immediate turn red -- she's right. I'm trying to be funny but it's only coming out as stupid.

"Oh god, you think so? I'm just tryna be funny!  I can't do this, I hate flirting," I say, burying my face in my hands. I've always sucked at dating. In high school, I had one boyfriend. We dated from Sophomore year till the end of Junior year, then he moved out the state and we broke up. In college, I also had one boyfriend. We dated for about 8 months my freshman year, then realized that we didn't work together. Other than that, I've only gone on a few dates here and there... obviously they never really lead to much of anything.

"Hey hey, it's okay! You're doing a great job, let's just see what-" As Catalina says that, the phone goes off again, both of us rushing to look at it.

I'm good, busy with work. I never really eat lunch, unless I'm having a lunch meeting.

Then another...

What are you eating?

"See, he didn't even say anything about your lame joke!" She says rubbing my arm. Catalina is a brutally honest person. No one can be friends with her if they have sensitive feelings, that's for sure.

"Okay, you're right. Let me respond real quick," I say as I type up a quick message.

Chicken Caesar Salad, highly recommend :)

As I send the message, it dawns on me. What does he want from this text exchange? Honestly, like I said, I never expected us to really talk unless it was about work or the investment. He isn't always the most friendly person and he certainly doesn't waste his time on anyone. Maybe he wants to be friends? Maybe he wants to seem like the nice boss? I'm honestly not even sure but I'm pulled out of my train of thought when the phone goes off.

I'll take your word for it.

Catalina looks at me and smiles, slightly. She's always been the one to get all the guys, she's such a good flirt... not to mention she's beautiful. 5'4, long, beautiful straight black hair down to her waist, big and bright green eyes, and a smile that can sparkle in the dark. Whereas, I'm 5'2, long, brown curly hair that's down to my mid back, brown eyes, and my smile is pretty but you know -- not as nice as hers. I also wear these big black glasses so you can't always see my eyes. It's not that I'm not good looking, I know I am, it's just that Catalina is prettier. Always has been, always will be.

"Not bad! It's a good start to a friendship, maybe more. But listen, I need to get going; I've got more work than I know what to do with. But you better text me if anything major happens," She says, standing up and throwing out her salad container. I follow, also throwing mine out.

"I will I will, I'll see you later at the apartment?"

"Yes, of course! Love you!" She says as she walks towards the elevator. I stop by the counter again, ordering myself another latte. I need it, I think to myself as I stare at my phone. What am I suppose to say to Mateo? Is the conversation done? Do I respond with an emoji? Just as I get my latte, another ding on my phone comes in and I look down at it.

What are you doing tomorrow night?

I almost drop the latte as my jaw drops to the floor. Is Mateo, asking me out?

-

-

-

Author's note:

Hiiii, a new chapter! It's another long one, hope you enjoyed!

So, major things happened :) We got to know Catalina a little more, how we feeling about her? Also, Mateo last message to Antonella, how do we feel? Do we think that he's asking her out?

Thanks so much for reading! I love you all :)

xoxo,

Ashley