Chapter 10

"Mateo, what are you doing here?" I say in a whisper-scream, looking at him. I notice that he seems more tired than usual -- looking a little disheveled. His hair isn't neatly combed like usual, and he's wearing dark washed jeans with a black t-shirt. He takes a moment to look into my apartment, noticing the people passed out in random places.

"Oh, I didn't know you had company. Uh, I'll go," He says, running his hand through his hair. As he turns around, I grab the inside of his elbow.

"No, it's okay. It's just a few friends; let me grab a sweatshirt and we can take a walk," I say, giving him a weak smile. Although it's late, I don't want him to feel bad about stopping by. It's obvious that something is wrong, and I know that he wouldn't have stopped by unless something is truly wrong. Once I grab a sweatshirt from my room, I run towards the front door, then close it quietly behind me -- not wanting to alert anyone.

We decide to just take a walk around the neighborhood. New York is always a beautiful city, but at night when everyone is sleeping, it's a different type of beautiful. The streets are quieter, the roads aren't so packed, and not every light is turned on. It's peaceful -- a moment that I'll cherish. Once we walk in silence for a few minutes, I cough, looking up at Mateo. Although it's dark out, I can still make out his face and all I see is frustration.

"So, Christina tells me that you were in Italy. Is everything alright?"

Mateo looks at me, almost shocked that I'm even talking. "Oh, yeah that. I went for, business. Not the company business but the other business," He says quietly, looking around the street. I'm sure he wants to make sure no one else is hearing our conversation -- which would make sense.

"I figured, but I still wanted to make sure everything was okay," I say with a quiet tone, matching his. As we get to the end of the block, about the cross the street, Mateo holds out his arm and I grab the inside of his elbow with both hands. Once we get to the other side, I go to drop my arms but he keeps his arm tight against his body -- so I keep holding on. After a few minutes, he starts talking again.

"I stopped by because I need to talk to you about something. Something happened at the gala, and well..." He says, trailing off. I can tell that whatever he is going to talk to me about is hard for him to say, so I rest my head on his arm as we keep walking. I want him to know that I am comfortable with him, despite what I know. After a minute, he continues.

"Some of my enemies have threaten me, and they want to try to come after my Mafia and the supplies and trade we do. But they didn't just threaten me, they threaten you too. They sent a letter to one of my Mafia houses in Italy -- saying that they were going to come after you, then me if they didn't get what they want," He says, slowly. When he says that, my anxiety immediately increases. 

I'm in danger? What are they going to do? I've heard about things the Mafia does in my books or on tv... but I don't know what they do in real life. I tighten my grip around Mateo, almost holding on for dear life. A million thoughts are running through my head, and I can't bring myself to say anything so I just nod slightly, continuing to rest my head on his arm.

"I'm trying to handle things to the best I can, but I think it might be best if you come stay with me for a little bit; in one of the Mafia house I have a little outside the city. It's the main one, where most business is conducted from. I know it may not be what you want to hear, but it's the best option I think. I can keep you safe, and people can escort you to wherever you want; making sure you're protected a 100% of the time. I know you live with Catalina, and she can come live with you too. I'm not sure if these people know where you live, and I'd hate for something to happen to either of you," He says as we sit down on a bench outside of two houses. I just sit there, fiddling with my hands in my lap. I'm not too sure what to say. Not only does he want me to move in with him, I have to give up living in the city for, who knows how long. After, what seems like forever, I finally speak up... but it comes out quieter than I anticipated.

"Do you really think this will keep me and her safe?"

"Yes. I understand it may be uncomfortable, but we can keep you safe -- I can keep you safe," He says, bringing his hand to my cheek and making me look at him. I can see his pleading eyes again, trusting him.

"What about my apartment?" I say, just staring into his eyes.

"We'll pay for it; cover all bills till this is over. And when you live with us, you worry about nothing. You don't pay for anything: rent, electric, wifi, phone bill, food? It's all covered by us. It's the least I can do since I'm turning your life upside down," He says as he takes his hand off my face and hold my hands.

"Alright, I'll do it. I need you to come by tomorrow and explain everything to Catalina though," I say, looking down at his hands. 

Honestly? I'm terrified by what he said. I can't imagine giving up everything I've ever know. Not only that, but to know that my safety is at danger every second of my life? A chill is sent down my spine and I feel goosebumps on my skin. Never, in my life, would I have pictured this would have happened to me.

"I will. Anything you need, you've got it. Nothing stands in the way of that," He says, bringing my hands up to his lips and kissing it softly. I lean my head on his shoulder and he intertwines our hands together as we stare off into the street. We stay like this for a little bit, before we decide to go back. We walk in silence, me holding onto the inside of his elbow and leaning my head against his arm. I'm in shock, and I'm tired. I can't even begin to process everything -- and I doubt I'll be able to sleep last night knowing what I know.

Once we get back to my apartment, he walks me up the stairs and brings his hand to my cheek again. This immediately sparks something and all the sudden, tears I didn't know where hiding, sudden escape. He takes his thumb and wipes them away softly.

"Everything is going to be okay. I'll come by tomorrow and explain the situation, then I'll have a few of my guys come, along with me, and we'll help you pack. In the meantime, I'm gonna have two of my men outside your door to make sure nothing happens. And if you need to go somewhere, call me and I'll take you myself," He says, wiping away my tears that continue to escape.

"Mateo, I'm scared," I say in a weak voice. He leans his forehead against mine, cupping my face with his hands.

"Toni, I promise you're gonna be safe. I will personally kill anyone who so much as lays a finger on you," He says in a whisper. I nod, slowly. I trust him; I know he'll keep me safe. After a minute, he brings me into him, giving me a hug. When I'm in his arms, I automatically feel safe. Like I know that nothing won't happen. After a little bit, he kisses the top of my head, and opens the door for me.

"Go get some sleep, I'll talk to you tomorrow," He says as I walk inside and nod my head. Once I close the door, I lock it then deadbolt it. But I'm suddenly startled when I hear someone say something.

"Ella, why was Mateo here?"

-

-

-

Author's note:

Hii guys! It took me an hour and a half to write this because I had no clue where to take the story... so I hope you enjoyed. On a happier note, thanks so much for 58 reads! It means the absolute world to me.

Alright so interesting chapter! How do we feel about the news that Mateo told Antonella? Do we think Catalina is going to take it well? Let me know what you think!

The continuous support is everything guys; thank you so much!

xoxo,

Ashley