Chapter 20

How Could You?

Fred still couldn't believe that he had finally done it. He had finally gotten his kiss with Millie after wanting it for what seems like forever. After driving him mad first with Cedric then that guy from Durmstrang, he had begun to doubt that he would ever get to be with her, which was why he had turned to Angelina. Fred knew Angelina had always fancied him and she was a good friend so he thought What was the harm in going out with Ange? But this ended up being a mistake after the incident at the Yule Ball where he had called her by Millie's name in his slightly intoxicated state. After enduring Angelina yelling at him for what had to be hours, Fred came to the realization that he was still in love with Millie, that he needed to be with her so he focused on her again, giving her subtle hints when they were together, having George leave them alone, hoping that she would get the hint. Unfortunately, it seemed like Millie was oblivious to his flirting until he kissed her but that kiss... he just knew they belonged together after that kiss.

Fred was pulled out of his reminiscing of the kiss as George nudged him, "Oi, what's that look on your face?"

"Look? I don't have any look on my face, you nutter." Fred denied.

"No, you definitely have a look. It's a new one." Ginny chimed in.

"Probably has something to do with Millie escaping to go to Hagrids, right?" Hermione grinned at him.

"What? No! You heard her, she just had to go turn something in." Fred argued.

"Hmm, I don't know. Sort of suspicious that you two were gone all afternoon, even through dinner and then she leaves to see Hagrid when she could've given him that stuff anytime." Ginny egged on.

"Yeah, maybe she was tired of you Fred." Ron reasoned, grinning at Fred's annoyed face at this point.

"Oi! Why would she avoid me after she spent the afternoon snogging me?" Fred shouted at them, standing up angrily then realizing what he'd said and collapsed into his seat as his siblings and Hermione all cheered.

"I KNEW IT!" George yelled.

"You owe me 5 galleons!" Ginny said to Hermione, laughing.

"I can't believe it!" Ron said, aghast because he thought they didn't have feelings for each other anymore.

"Oh, shove off you lot. You can't tell her I said anything because we agreed to not say anything until we figured out what we were." Fred pleaded with them. They ignored him as they all began to talk over each other, arguing about who won what bets and how they all knew it was destined to happen eventually. Fred's attention was taken as Professor McGonagall climbed into the common room. "Oi, McGonagall's here, wonder what she's doing?"

His siblings and Hermione all quieted as they noticed McGonagall making their way over to them with an ominous look on her face. Fred's first thought was that something had happened to his parents or one of his elder brothers and his stomach clenched in anticipation.

Professor McGonagall had the whole common room's attention as she made it to the Weasleys. "Weasleys, Miss Granger, I'm going to need you all to come with me. Something has happened."

"What, Professor? Is Harry alright?" Hermione asked since that seemed the most plausible explanation.

"No, Miss Granger. Mr. Potter is just fine. Miss McKinnon has been attacked, you are all needed in the hospital wing."

All their faces went white at hearing Millie had been attacked and Fred's heart clenched, ten times more worried than he was before. How could something have happened to her? She was just with them, laughing and begrudgingly studying with Hermione. She just...went to see Hagrid, how could something like this happen?