Chapter 12

Millie's Birthday

The weeks following the first task and up to winter break were some of the worst of Millie's life. She had never been so embarrassed when Hermione told her what she'd done in her drunken state. Millie managed to successfully avoid talking to Fred or George for days following the incident by taking food from the kitchens to avoid the Great Hall and spending almost all her time outside of class in her dormitory where boys weren't allowed. At least, it worked until Angelina came to talk to her for the twins; which made Millie even more angry that they would send the person who is the reason that she was in this uncomfortable situation.

Angelina had walked in the dorm, knocking on the frame to let Millie know she was there before coming inside. She had stopped at the foot of Millie's bed before she said anything as Millie hadn't said anything yet and was just watching her.

"So, you are avoiding Fred and George?" Angelina prompted, as if she had the right to know.

"I honestly don't see how that's any of your business."

"It's my business because the boys asked me to make it my business since you've been hiding out up here. They can't exactly come and clear the air when you won't give them the time of day."

"Again, I don't see how this is any of your business so how about you just go ahead and go, Angelina. I'm sure the boys would be glad to have you back with them." Millie replied with irritation, wanting this conversation to be over.

"Look, just because we both have feelings for F-"

"DO NOT talk to me about Fred. Get out. Now."

Angelina looked taken aback at Millie's sudden change of attitude. They just stood there, staring at each other as Millie's chest heaved with the anger she was feeling. Finally, understanding seemed to dawn on Angelina's face as she whispered, "Oh, you saw us at the...the party."

Millie looked away, but not before Angelina caught the pained expression that had appeared on her face. She didn't look back at Angelina as she demanded once more that Angelina leave.

Obviously, Angelina didn't leave as it seemed she was on a mission to cause Millie as much hurt before she left, even if it was unintentional.

"Millie, what happened that night...I kissed Fred. He didn't initiate it."

"It didn't exactly look like he was pushing you away though, Ange." Millie retorted, turning back to her.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what to say..."

"Then please, just go. And tell the boys to just leave me be. I'm fine."

Angelina didn't want to leave but Millie had clearly reached the end of her patience and as she pointed at the door for Angelina to leave, Angelina decided to take her leave. Millie knew it was irrational to be mad at Angelina, it wasn't her fault that Fred had hurt her feelings. It wasn't Angelina's fault that Fred would never actually admit his feelings for Millie. None of it was her fault but it was easier to be mad at everyone involved, and not give anyone a break.

Ever since the night that Angelina had come to talk to Millie, Millie had noticed that Angelina was spending less time with the twins and would greet Millie with a smile whenever she saw her. Millie thought this was odd but didn't care enough to comment on it, although it did appear to bother Fred that Angelina had cooled down significantly towards him. Fred didn't dare ask Angelina or Millie what had happened when they talked though because he knew they would both tear him to shreds if he did. The unintended consequence of Millie unleashing her temper on Fred the night of the tournament's task was that George had taken Fred's side, telling Millie that he thought she'd gone a bit far by screaming at Fred in front of the whole common room. This had caused Millie to give a moment's pause because she did take her friends' opinions very seriously but George didn't understand how it would feel to see the person he fancied making out with someone else right in front of him and it was his fault that she even believed Fred fancied her in the first place with him filling her head with all that nonsense over the summer. So, for perhaps the first time in their lives Millie and Fred weren't speaking with each other either.