Chapter 15

The Ball

"So...you just sat there? You didn't discuss any of the problems you've had? At all?" Millie sighed, just nodding in affirmation to Ginny's incredulous question as Millie filled her friends in on her conversation with Fred in totality. It was the morning of the Yule Ball and Millie was having breakfast with Ginny, Hermione, Ron, and Harry. She had spent most of the day after her conversation with Fred hanging out with Cedric so this was her first chance to fill them in on everything.

"But that didn't solve anything!" Ginny protested.

"C'mon Ginny, she talked to him. Give 'er a break." Ron said, speaking around the food in his mouth.

"Thank you, Ronald." Millie said, winking at Ron as she reached for another piece of toast.

"But- you and Fred? Are you friends again? Is everything back to normal or will we still have awkwardness at all times?" Ginny fired the questions off in rapid succession, making Millie internally groan at the continued interrogation.

"Ginny, darling, I love you but please give it a rest." Millie pleaded.

Ginny looked put out and turned to speak to Neville who was sitting with them. She asked Neville about some sort of plant he was currently obsessed with and settled in for a long talk.

"So, are you two ready for the ball tonight?" Millie turned to the boys, smirking a bit since they were both quite disgruntled at not getting dates they wanted and, in Ron's case, at the dress robes his mum sent him from the 1800s.

"Shove off, Amelia." Ron grunted.

"I'd just rather not go. Any way I could get out of it, ya reckon?" Harry asked, turning to Hermione and Millie respectively, hoping they could help him get out of it.

"Uh, no, Harry. You and Pavarti have to lead the first dance of the Yule Ball. It'll be quite noticeable if you skip it." Hermione told Harry, Millie nodding in agreement. She was slightly distracted though as she noticed Draco angrily stand up at the Slytherin table, fling something on the table then stalk out of the Great Hall.

"Um, I'll see you in the common room in a bit you lot. 'Bye." Millie said, standing up from the table to rush after Draco. Harry and Hermione both protested her going after Draco but she hadn't spoken to him in a while and, despite their differences, she missed him.

Millie tried to retrace Draco's steps, having to guess at what direction he went in since he had disappeared long before she made it to the entrance hall. After a few minutes she realized that this would get her nowhere, having checked in multiple spots and not being able to find him. But, then she remembered a spot on the third floor of the castle, a secluded corner that not many students could find, but it was the place that her and Draco would often go to catch up without the judgmental stares of Millie's friends and Draco's Slytherin pals. She made her way up the stairs, making sure to skip the trick one that many got caught in, and followed a path she had many times before to find the hidden spot.