chapter two ─ to ease the mind

act one , chapter two

act one , chapter two ... to
ease the mind !

( march twenty-first, nineteen
eighty-six ... morning , in the
gymnasium ! )

── ✧ ──

PEP RALLYS WERE THE WORST FOR DAVIE. HE had forgotten that they were having one this week. Sitting in the gymnasium next to Heath, and one other friend, Donna, who had been one kid the drummers of the whole Thrash Till Dawn group (not to mention, a freshman), which were mainly casted as misfits by the rest of the school. But he didn't mind being with them. But Davie hated to be in the gym full of high schoolers different and alike. It was stuffy, it was making him anxious because they were super close to each other. Some of the aspects weren't bad. He watched the band play, and several of his friends were already in marching band. That was pretty much the only part that was bearable to him. He looked around, picked with his cuticles, anything that was just distract him. Maybe the whole thing would be over much faster. But that wasn't the case. It seemed like the pep rally dragged on. It seemed like it took forever for it to be over. Davie felt uneasy, and that was usual for him. But when Jason Carver took the mic, he just became more uneasy than what he felt before.

He had his problems with Jason. He couldn't stand to hear him talk. Couldn't stand to see him walk. He was the new king of Hawkins High school. Davie wouldn't say that he was worst than Billy, but to him he was worst than Billy. And the only person to think that seemed to be him. He made sure not to make eye contact with the guy, because when he did, something in his mind just went back to the time that he was in a very bad place. A place that he didn't want to be in ever again.

Now he was talking about how the victims that died in the mall fire. The fire. God, he really didn't want to think about that. And now he had to bring it up with his sappy little speech. What was he even trying to do? He was making it seem like he cared. But he didn't care about anything but himself and basket ball.

"Think of Heather," Jason continued to say, "Think of Hopper. Think of Billy."

Davie felt like he was going to vomit. He felt super uncomfortable, and he know where this was about to go next. Another tap on his shoulder made him slight jump, and he looked to see Donna, who looked worried.

"You alright, man?"

Davie gave a small smile and a nod, "I'm fine," He replied back, "Just feelin' a little claustrophobic."

Donna thought for a moment. "Okay. . ." She drifted, before turning back.

Davie turned back to the front. His fingertips slightly tugging on his blue sweater that he was currently wearing.