chapter nine ─ another day, another protest

act one, chapter nine

act one, chapter nine ... another
day , another protest !

( march twenty-second , nineteen
eighty-six ...early afternoon , hawkins
post ! )

( now playing ... fortunate
son ─ credence clearwater revival ! )

── ✧ ──

" YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO GET ONE AD IN THE PAPER ? "

WHEN HE WASN'T IN THRASH TILL DAWN , BLUE JAY was working at the Hawkins Post in the advertising department. Davie and Heath had practically begged him to put an ad about the protest in the paper. Blue-Jay had to get it approved by the head man before he could get it in the paper, and that was a very hard thing to do. But he understood that Davie and Heath wanted to get the word out. Besides, he would do anything for Heath, and it was her idea to try and put an ad in the paper in the first place. But he had trying since she got into the whole protesting things, and it had never worked out because his boss was such an ass about it. And now that the two were on spring break, it was harder to advertise things like this, so they needed something that would reach out to the public when they weren't in school. And Blue Jay wasn't giving up on them. Not yet, at least. He wanted everyone to see an ad about this as much as the others did.

But as much as he wanted to get it in the paper, he knew that however many times he pitched the idea, Tom would keep saying no, and annoying him to death wouldn't work. It just made him more angry and more annoyed. And Blue Jay had worked his ass off to even get this position at the Hawkins Post instead of being an assistant. And he didn't wanna go back down to that status.

"Yes, I know how hard it is to get an ad in the paper! I used to work here, remember?" Davie says to Blue Jay, "I just need you to pull strings!"

"Pull strings? If I do that, I'll probably get fired," Blue Jay told him, reading one of the other ads that had been approved for the paper, "You know I would love to get an ad about the protest in the paper, but it's way too hard."

"We know that, Blue," Heath sighed, "It's just if anyone can put it in the paper, it's you."

Blue Jay gave them a smile. "Hm. . . You're lucky flattery works with me, Heathie," he chuckled.

"Mm I know! That's why I'm using it," Heath chuckled, "So will you try? At least one more time? If it doesn't work, we won't ask again. Promise."

"Fine," Blue Jay answered, before giving his partner a kiss on their cheek, "One more time."

Heath gave him a smile. "You're the best!"

Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white, and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the Chief"
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord

"I know."

"Okay enough you two," Davie chuckled, "We gotta go! So uh, contact us about how it turns out, okay?"

Blue Jay gave a nod. "Totally!" He said back, "I'll see you two later!"

Both Heath and Davie gave a wave, before finally leaving the building of the Hawkins Post. Davie just hoped that the ad will make it into the paper in time for today's protest. If not, it was okay. Hadn't been the first time it's been denied. He just wished Blue Jay's boss wasn't an ass about the whole thing.

"So what do we do if Blue doesn't get the ad in the paper?" Heath asked.

"We do what we always do, I guess," Davie answers, "We hang flyers up around town."

"That's gonna take us forever! We only have about two hours until the protest!" Heath argued.

"I know that. But we gotta do what we can to get the word out. No matter what," Davie explained to them, "Now come on."

"Where are we going?"

"Back to Harper's Record Shop. Auggie asked me to pick him up in time for the protest," Davie answered, getting into the driver's seat of the car.

It ain't me, it ain't me
I ain't no senator's son
It ain't me, it ain't me
I ain't no fortunate one, no

They two of them had been busy for the last two hours. They had picked Auggie up from the record store. Luckily Griffin had took over, and he owned him for the hours that he missed. But August had connections, so he was always useful in the situation. Plus he always stayed for the protests, even though he had worked almost an eight hour shift.

They came back to the McCreary-Hartman household to make signs. Each protest they always made signs, or just recycled the ones that they had used in the past. Luanne used to be a protester, so she always had different signs that she made in the past lying around. So sometimes, they used those if Luanne said they could use them.

Then they had to drive to the protest sight. Most of the time, they would just march down the roads, but this time, they had a specific sight. The Mayor's office. Obviously the government had their issues. And of course it started with the president. But they couldn't go that far. Not yet, anyways, so they had to start somewhere. The mayor wasn't making their city any better. Davie couldn't believe that Larry Kline was still in office after what happened last year.

"You got the megaphone?"

"Of course I do," August answered, "Ain't a protest without the megaphone, right?"

"I guess you can say that," Davie chuckled.

"We better get going," Heath told the both of them, "People are arriving in bulk so we better head up to the front, quick."

Some folks are born silver spoon in hand
Lord, don't they help themselves, no
But when the taxman come to the door
Lord, the house lookin' like a rummage
sale, yeah

"You're right," August replied, "Let's go!"

They three of them immediately went to the front of the mayor's office. Of course, it had been blocked off, but it was always like that. Larry Kline hated protesters. But he couldn't do anything about it because most of the protests were peaceful, and they had freedom of speech.

The three of them managed to find Kate, who had been waiting on them the whole time. "Took you guys long enough! Come on! Gimme the megaphone so I can speak some sense into the dude!"

"Sorry! We got a bit held up!" Davie told Kate as he was handing her the megaphone and a sign. "Besides, we needed to get the signs, you know. Mr. Kline needs something to look at to make him feel guilty."

"Let's hope it actually makes him feel bad, this time, yeah?"

"Yeah. Hopefully. . ."