3.The Ring

As Veer and Mridula entered the hall, they saw that only their fathers were present there. She took a breath of relief as she got to know her mother Vaidehi was not present there.

They went close to where Narayan and Abhiraj were playing chess.

"How was your day, Beta?" Abhiraj asked while looking up to Mridula. Her father was busy deciding his next move.

"Umm... Veer had taken me to a temple!"

Abhiraj looked at his son in bafflement.

"My son took you to a temple...? He never visits one even if his mother commands!"

Veer faced Mridula and told her to continue her fake story.

"He didn't go in...he just dropped me there"

Veer nodded his head to support her lie.

"Go and rest! You both might be tired."

As they saw them leave, Abhiraj and Narayan looked at each other.

"They think that they can lie to us...!" Abhiraj said and let out a small laugh.

"Both of them are good at lying I must say...but they forget that we are their fathers... At the end, we'll know everything!" Narayan said as he moved his bishop one box diagonally.

~~~~~~

Mridula couldn't wait to go to bed and as soon as she reached her room, she immediately walked to her bed and slumped down.

She was just about to doze off when she thought of asking Naresh about Geeta. It had not even been a day but she didn't want any more injustice done to her.

Her call was picked up after two rings.

"Hello, Ma'am!" A respectable voice said from the other side.

"Hello, Naresh! I had just called to check if Geeta's husband showed up in town."

There was silence for a few seconds and then Naresh said,

"Unfortunately...no! He is still away. But I'll let you know about him as soon as he gets here, Ma'am!"

Mridula just hummed and then asked him about the child custody case that she was currently working on. After getting to know a little about the case, she ended the call but not before telling Naresh to look after Geeta's safety.

As she ended the call, she looked at her phone which was running low on battery. She rushed to where her handbag was and dug her hand to find the charger but couldn't find it there.

Her bag was full of things and not at all organized, thanks to the guy whom she collided with today. All of a sudden, her mind diverted to the man that helped her today. She was embarrassed at how blatantly she was staring at him.

She turned the bag upside down and all the contents came crashing down on the bed. As she found the charger, her hand touched a tiny velvet box. She eyed the box in question.

'This is not mine!'

She opened the box to find a beautiful ruby ring in it.