40. Reception Party

Unedited

Uday's POV

Her car was nowhere to be found as I cut the engine of my car in front of her parent's house. Before I could get myself to call the security to ask for her location, I noticed my father's car parked in the parking space.

I took hurried steps in the house only to be welcomed by my  infuriated looking Baba Sa. He had been talking to her father and I knew he wouldn't have tried to pacify my father.

"Baba..."  

My father cut me off as he questioned Mr. Chauhan politely. "Can I talk to my son in private, Narayan?"

There was disappointment as he said the word son.

I saw my father-in-law nod and he ordered one of the helpers to lead us to his home office.

I glanced around once before closing the door and turning to face him. He settled down on one of the sofas and looked at me.

"Your father-in-law called...what is this that I am hearing, Uday? You got married."

"You wanted me to get married. So, why are you furious now?" I know I was taking someone else's anger out on him.

"That is not the answer I want, Boy!"

My father is usually calm but he is the last person I would trifle with when he is angry.

"Did you force her to marry you?" He asked.

He gave me a sardonic laugh. "Maybe you are walking in your grandfather's footsteps."

"I am not like him." I enunciated each word with emphasis.

"So, why did you marry her?"

He looked straight at my eyes to search for the answer. "I know you don't love her."

"And why would you say that?" I asked as I kept an impassive stance.

"Because I see ego and arrogance in your eyes...and where there is love, there is only devotion and surrender." His definition of love is so flawed. I am sure as hell that love never feels this way. 

"Now, tell me the real reason!"

"You want to win this election and for that we need to make this family stronger and I am sure that Mridula is the answer." I answered back with a calm tone.

"So, this is all a deal for you...but how did you make her agree to all of this?" 

Her face clouded my thoughts. I clearly remembered what I had to do to convince her and I didn't need a recap, not even in my own mind.

"Whatever it is, it is between me and my wife now."

My Baba Sa looked at me stunned. We usually don't keep secrets from each other but I want to keep this secret hidden for as long as possible.

I have to cover this up.

"This is what you wanted to hear right...that I turned out to be just like him. But no..."

My father's face etched with confusion.

"I don't know about love. But I married her because I didn't want anyone else to take her away from me. I like spending time with her."

Even if we fight for most of the time. I wanted to say but I kept that to myself.

I waited for him to lash out at me. But as I looked up, I only saw a smile on his face.