16.Futile Attempts

Mridula's POV

I personally dropped Geeta to her parents' place as she feared that Dilip would come out. But I don't think anyone will bail him out. And as it is a non-bailable offence.

I watched as she got in her house and only then did I tell the chauffeur to drive home. I unlocked my phone and opened my messages. There was no reply from Uday's side. I had tried calling him after I had talked to Geeta but his phone was switched off.

I tried calling again...but to no avail.

I messaged him for the fifth time.

Yes, five messages...I don't care if I look desperate because I am at fault.

I sighed as I locked my phone and shoved it in the bag. I don't even know his house address. Maybe Papa would know after all he is friends with his father.

I reached home to find Papa busy talking to mom. I think they noticed how tired I was as they didn't ask me about my day. I was famished and we soon settled down to have our dinner. Leela was home but she was working in her room and would have her food later.

"Papa, do you know where the Shekhawats live here...I mean their address?"

Mom and Papa exchanged glances and then Papa said, "I know...but why are you asking?"

"I have to return something back to Uday, that's why...nothing else!" I said as I filled my mouth with another morsel of food. The rest of the dinner went in silence.

~~~~~~

The next morning, I was standing in front of the huge double door of Uday's mansion. I was waiting for Senior Shekhawat's PA. I didn't have an appointment so Papa told me that I might have to wait. Soon, I saw a person in his early fifties walk up to me wearing an ash safari suit.

"Minister sir is busy in a meeting, you'll have to wait for some time, Beta!"

"No problem...I am willing to wait, Uncle!" After all, it was my fault.

He led me to the waiting area of the house. I settled down on the leather sofa as I waited. I was about to ask about Uday when his father's PA excused him as he received a call.

I looked around the room to see simple interiors with sofas arranged against the wall with tables at two corners. I noticed a few frames on the wall and on close inspection saw photos of Dhanraj Shekhawat's campaigns; him speaking in front of a huge crowd, then of rallies, and then with the CM. I also observed Uday in a few of them and saw that he only smiled when he was talking to his father or posing with him. It wasn't a bright smile but a smile nonetheless!

So, he is also uptight Shekhawat...!

'Mridula focus on the task at hand...to apologize to Uday!'

I was busy observing the photos that I didn't notice when I was called.

"....Is free...you can meet him, Beta!" I tore my gaze from his smiling face and nodded while following his father's PA.

He knocked at a semi-glass and wood door and soon we both heard a 'come in!'. I walked in and found Senior Shekhawat sitting on his office leather chair signing a document. He was also surprised to see me. He stood up and gestured to take a seat. I introduced myself as I settled down.

"I know who you are, Beta. And sorry to keep you waiting...I had to take that meeting!"

"No problem, sir!"