13.Just one date!

Mridula's POV

I was in my room doing my hair when my phone pinged. It was a message from Anika, asking me where I was.

Why is this girl so impatient... I just don't know...?

I looked at the time...it was just 5: 30 in the evening. I quickly moved out and in a hurry, I bumped into Leela. I was a little shocked to see her back from work at this hour. It is her habit to work late. She looked at my attire and questioned me with her raised eyebrows.

"I am going to a work-related party with Anika...Do you want to join us?" I asked in a hopeful voice.

"No! I have a lunch meeting with a client tomorrow...so, I can't stay out today!" She said and then walked away from there.

I was about to follow her but then my phone started blaring...it was Anika.

"I'm on my way...!"

"You always say this and then you are one or two hours late...Meera has also not arrived...!" She said in an agitated tone.

"I'll be there, yaar! Don't fuss!" I dashed out of the house. Saket Hospital is only twenty minutes away from our house.

~~~~~~

Soon, I entered the venue a little late. The hospital had added another cancer treatment building. The new building's entrance was decorated with flowers. But I saw that the ribbon was already cut.

Oh, I am late again...Anika will kill me now. Thanks to the traffic...!

I was about to enter the building when I heard Meera's voice. I turned around to see her walk towards me, wearing a light yellow suit.

"Thank god! I won't be alone facing the wrath of Kali Mata(Goddess Kali)!" Meera said as she hugged me.

"Why are you late?"

"Don't ask...this project I am working on is in west Delhi...so traffic!" She explained as we walked in.

And as soon as we reached the hall where the party was going on, we saw an angry Anika walking our way.

"Look who decided to show up...!" She shouted as she was within earshot.

Meera looked at me and then both of us held our ears and said in unison,
"We are very sorry, Ma Kali! Please forgive us!"

We pleaded through our eyes. I am sure most people might be staring at us weirdly but we could care less.
Anika shook her head and raised her hands in defeat.

"The ribbon cutting ceremony has already happened...! The chief guest of the party is..." She said as she looked at me. But Meera interrupted her and pointed to the place where the drinks were kept.

"I am very thirsty...!" And saying this she gripped Anika's hand and dragged her there. I looked around to find everyone busy in conversing with each other.
I wonder who the chief guest is!

"Miss Chauhan...?"

Mridula turned around to see one of her clients there. His case was that he wanted to divorce his wife and get the custody of his son. The case was easy to win as his wife didn't want to keep their son with her. But the problem was that she wanted half of his wealth.
But let's not talk about that now...

"Hi, Mr. Kumar! How are you...?"

"I am good! And you?" I answered that question and asked,
"I didn't know you knew someone from this hospital...?"