One

Elyus's POV:

TWELVE YEARS AGO
THE AFTERMATH OF THE AVENGERS' BATTLE OF NEW YORK
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

"And...here are the keys." Julian gently smiled, placing the set of keys in the palm of my hands once I finished filling out the paper work. "The Hyde Out is all yours. Have you decided to name it?"

I quickly shake my head. "No, no. This is more than enough for what you've done for me, Julian. I need at least one thing to represent what made this bar what it is today so I'm keeping the name. I owe you everything."

The elderly man scoffed as he dismissively waved his hand. "Ay, you owe me nothing. Ever since you escorted some of the people from the pride parade in 1974 when this place barely just opened, you and I didn't know it then but you changed my life and others for the better. Like what this Ari—cómo se dice—said when he sent you and your family down to Earth, it's always what you were meant to do."

"Arishem, and they're not my family." I counter, feeling my heart sink as I thought back to Ajak's order of when she'll find us to leave this planet with Arishem. "But what if one day I have to leave? How do you know that you can trust me?"

"You just...feel that someone has good intentions. Not everyone is as heartless as you make them to be." He comfortingly placed his hand over mine to close my hands over the keys. "Why do you think I let you in this place all those years ago?"

I sadly smile before I pull him into a hug. "Are you sure about leaving this place to me instead of those buyers? Is there any way I can convince you to stay?"

He pulls away and reaches for the television remote, turning on the device which immediately was on the news station. "Despite the devastation what has been confirmed as an extra terrestrial attack, the extraordinary heroics of the group known as The Avengers, has been to many of cause not only for comfort but for celebration--" He flicked to the next station, showing another interview of a man wearing a suit with a red tie and a look of annoyance. "These so-called heroes have to be held responsible for the destruction done to the city. This was their fight! Where are they now?"

The interview panned to the destruction of Manhattan, showing parts of buildings that were torn apart along, the streets filled with rubble, and several civilians that were unfortunately hurt by the battle where some were either limping to the nearby ambulance or being wheeled on a gurney. Metal fragments of the alien soldiers were sprawled across the streets and a large metal-like snake laid in the middle of the town square.

"What, that this is somehow their fault? Captain America saved my life." The video panned to a disheveled blonde-haired woman with dirt smeared across her head and clothes but still wore a small smile of relief. "Wherever he is and wherever any of them are, I would just...I would want to say thank you."

"I have to make sure my daughter and the rest of her family are okay. I'm not sure how long that will take but I don't want to take not seeing them for granted again." He explained. "I haven't seen them in years since I've been a bit busy here with money being a little tight but because of this...I see it as a sign for me to pass the mantle on to someone else. Someone I consider family and not some random pendejo in a suit who will make sure that this places' history for Pride is forgotten."

I reluctantly nod before squeezing his hand. "Thank you for everything, Mr. Hyde. I won't let you down."

"I know you won't." He chuckled, patting my arm a few times. "But I should thank you for being my friend. For making me into a better person." A honk from outside causes his eyes to widen slightly and we turn, seeing the yellow taxi parked outside. "That's for me. Thankfully a buddy of mine works for the taxi company so he's gonna drive me to the airport. Impatient geezer, I tell you."