Thirteen

Elyus's POV:

Footsteps entered the room once more and I had expected Thena to return but instead see that Ikaris was dressed in his blue-armored suit.

"Hey, I'm close to figuring it out." Phastos tried to say but before we knew it, Ikaris's eyes glowed and he shot his laser beams toward the hologram, sending Phastos to collapse on his back as the machine shattered into pieces.

"What the--Ikaris what have you done?" I scold.

"Boss, what are you doing?" Kingo exclaimed.

"I've let this go on long enough." Ikaris stated before his gaze set on Phastos who was groaning out in pain.

"Don't hurt him!" Sersi runs into the laboratory and quickly helps Phastos up. "He lied to us! He already knew about the emergence."

"No, he didn't." Kingo argued and turned back to Ikaris.

"Ajak told me everything when we left Babylon." He stated.

"W-What?"

My heart sinks in realization, remembering all of his nervous antics from before. It all made sense. "You were never gonna let us stop the emergence."

Ikaris shook his head. "No, I only wanted to protect you from the Deviants."

"If Ajak wanted you to take her place, why did she choose me?" Sersi shakily asked but his silence causes her eyes to slightly widen. "What have you done?"

"He killed her." Druig realized and I slowly shake my head in disbelief.

Tears brimmed in Ikaris's eyes. "I had to."

"She loved you." Sersi murmured as a whimper escaped from Phastos.

"Did she?"

"She treated you like one of her own! How could you do that?" I angrily yell out and try to lunge at him but Kingo quickly grabs my arm to hold me in place. "I should've known everything you said in Mumbai was pure bullshit! I should kill you!"

"Do you think it was easy to live with the truth? To know that one day all this would end?" Ikaris questioned before his eyes fell on Sersi. "To keep on lying to you? If we gave humanity the choice, how many of them would be willing to die so that billions more could be born?"

"We're not giving them a choice." Phastos sniffled. "Is this why you're willing to kill? You are so pathetic!"

"I'm an Eternal, Phastos. I exist for Arishem. As do you. It's who you are." Ikaris stated.

Phastos shook his head in disapproval. "I wouldn't change a single thing about who I am. Born or made. But I do not exist for Arishem," Phastos threateningly takes a step closer to him, yanking his arm away from Sersi. "I exist for my family!"

"Then you are making the same mistake Ajak did."

Before either Phastos or Ikaris could make the first move to attack, Makkari speeds into the laboratory with a grin on her face.

"I found Tiamut." She happily signed but Ikaris's eyes glow, preparing to shoot his lasers.

"No!"

Before the laser beams hit her, I speedily push her out of the way, feeling the beams collide with my shoulder which causes me to crash into the rock table with a groan. Makkari worriedly crouches to my side but I quickly shake my head, tightly clutching onto my shoulder.

"Makkari, get out of here!" Kingo insisted and she nods before speeding out of the room once more.

"Kingo." Ikaris warned, seeing as Kingo protectively stood in front of me, generating the energy projection bolt with his fingertips.