Four

Elyus's POV:

BABYLON 575 BC

"The wonders of the world await you. Follow Gilgamesh and Enkidu into battle." Sprite passionately spoke in Babylonian, using her illusions to tell the story as it projected into the sky for the people to see. Though, despite how captivating it was to watch, I couldn't tear my eyes away from a certain green-suited eternal. "Be forever inspired by their bravery and strength. You and your fellow man...will go on great adventures. And become legends of your own!"

Sprite threw her hands in the air which instantly filled the skies with fireworks, earning cheers filled with excitement. Several children that surrounded Sersi excitedly patted her arm, pointing to the visuals to make sure she saw and she quickly nodded with a cheeky grin.

Pretty.

With the amount of time we spent together, I never understood why I felt more nervous to be in her presence when I've known her for already a thousand years. To describe it in a better sense, I felt different when I looked at her.

Like everything made sense.

Sersi somehow meets my eyes and she playfully shrugs, showing that she's going to have her hands full for a while which causes me to laugh.

But then at the same time, it felt like something was wrong with me. A part of me wanted to ignore all of my duties and hang around Sersi with the rest of the humans and the other part wanted me to crawl into a corner. Am I sick? Could Eternals even get sick?

But her smile--god her smile, every time she would smile at whatever nonsense came out of my mouth, endlessly sent my heart to erratically beat out of my ears. Or times where we would lock eyes with one another--

"While I was messing with Kingo by taking his spot next to Sprite," I jump at the sudden voice, turning to see it was Gilgamesh who barely leaned against the wall next to me with a knowing look. "I couldn't help but notice the painfully obvious stares you've had towards a certain person for a long time now."

My eyes widen. "What? No, I'm simply just enjoying the environment." I casually gesture around us.

"Uh-huh, and this wine is not strong," Gilgamesh chuckled, taking a sip from his chalice. "My apologies, I thought we were telling lies."

"If you came to simply bother me, I will not hesitate to send you flying out to space to say hello to Arishem." I fake a smile, holding out my hand which formed a mini tornado to spin around my palm.

"I told you, I came here to push you out of your comfort zone." He bumped my shoulder. "You know that neither of us would judge you, right?"

I mindlessly spin the contents in my chalice, watching as red wine swirled around. "I have no idea what you are insinuating. Besides, you cannot speak for the others."

"Okay well, I can speak for myself." He said before looking around, making sure nobody else would hear. "I would never judge you for your feelings towards Sersi."

Despite my heart leaping out of my chest, I scoff at his words. "Me and Sersi? As if! That is the wine that is speaking for you, Gil."

"I may be drunk, but I am not a fool, Elyus."

"We're friends." I state as if it's obvious. "I don't have the time to even consider love, Gilgamesh. I'm sure Ajak does not want us to lose our focus from Arishem's mission."

"Is that so? Because from where I'm standing, Ikaris is clearly in love with Sersi and he's practically loyal to Arishem." Gilgamesh nodded his head and I follow his line of vision, seeing as Ikaris watching the dancing circle with Sersi and several of the villagers with smiles on their faces. "I saw him speaking to Ajak earlier. Maybe to ask or something."