Two

BABYLON 575 BC

Elyus's POV:

Ever since we arrived on Earth, things tended to be back and forth about my purpose being here. Specifically, if I'm in the right team with the fighters rather than the thinkers.

The longer I spent time with Sersi, it showed that my powers only helped little with the Deviants and more with helping improve civilization in Babylon.

It's not that I didn't get along with the fighters, they're great. I got to spar with Thena near the gates, Gilgamesh advised proper stances so I can land on my feet better, Kingo and I demonstrated creative ways to use our abilities, and Makkari and I explored the trading posts from the artifacts she found.

Ikaris on the other hand was more on the stern side. I never understood why but he disliked the fact I always played with the children and preferred to hang out with either Sersi, Druig, Phastos, or Sprite rather than handle the Deviants.

From my perspective, living on Earth wasn't worth it if I was solely focused on fighting Deviants. I wanted to have some fun out of it while we could!

"And then you just cover the seeds like so," Sersi gently instructed, cupping a pile of soil in her hands before covering it over the seeds.

I try to grab a pile of dirt but my nails struggled to get a proper grip which caused me to furrow my brows in concentration. Thankfully enough she latched onto my wrist, halting my actions. "What's wrong?"

"That's dry dirt, darling." She giggled.

"What's the difference?"

"That dirt won't give the seeds the proper nutrients for it to grow into plantlings." She explained with a smile before crawling closer to me, unfazed at the dirt staining her suit. "Here, let me show you."

My eyes widen in surprise as she clasps her hand under mine and reaches for the pile of soil beside her, letting my fingers run through the soil. "Oh."

"Can you feel the difference?"

I glance at her, meeting her gaze which causes my eyes to soften. "Yeah...yeah, I do." I clear my throat before I nod my head towards the dirt. "It's incredible."

"If you think that is incredible, watch this." Keeping her grip under my hand, she pulls it out of the dirt to place it on top, allowing a flow of water to escape from her fingertips and into the row where the rest of the seeds we planted together.

"Your abilities never cease to amaze me." I lightly chuckle as she pulled her hand away from mine. "Sort of jealous that you bring purpose to the team, to be honest."

Her eyes narrow into concern. "What? Why?"

I hold out the palm of my hand and swirl my finger around, creating a mini tornado to spin around.  "Having control over the wind doesn't exactly bring much to the table." I shrug. "At least...that's what Ikaris makes it seem like."

"Hey, you're important to the team just as much as I am. As much as everyone." She reassured, placing her hand on my arm. "Ellie without you, I'm sure these people would suffer from the intense heat temperatures that go on here. If nobody else can see the way that I see you, then they are just plain idiotic. You're amazing."

I raise a brow. "Ellie?"

Her cheeks flush in embarrassment as she shyly looked down to continue planting more seeds into the next row. "I--erm, my apologies. Lately, I've been thinking about some more names that you would like to be called since you told me a while ago that it sounds like a boy name so i-it just sort of slipped out.