Six

Elyus's POV:

Aztec Empire, Tenochtitlan: 1521 AD
The Fall of Tenochtitlan

I tiredly wipe the sweat from my face, the heat becoming unbearable by the second due to the fires wildly spreading within the homes of the Aztec Empire.

With the amount of death and destruction from the wars and raids I had to watch, the sickening feeling worsened. I could've easily helped to stop the warriors battling with the raiders. I could show that this wasn't the answer. I can make them understand.

But if I didn't want to face the repercussions from Arishem, I had to sit back and finish off the nearby Deviant, no matter how badly I wanted to help.

I harshly slash my hand across, the wind slicing the head of the Deviant clean off which sent the beast to tumble into a tree and lie motionlessly.

I wipe the green liquid that splattered my face with my sleeve, scrunching my nose in disgust.

"Ah, I see our training sessions have been paying off." I hear Thena call from behind and I turn, seeing her proud smile. "Nice work."

"Thanks, Thena." I mutter but from behind, my eyes widen at the sight of the raider on a horse galloping towards the oblivious child, not showing any signs of stopping.

I quickly sprint after them and push my hands forward, blowing a harsh gust of wind that sends the raider to slam into the monument, knocking him unconscious.

The boy frantically looked around but I guided him away, moving him out of the middle of the temple. "Get away from the flames!" I hurriedly advise in Nahuatl. "Hide until you see one of your people."

He quickly nods before running towards the forest, seeing as some of the villagers already sprinting towards the clearing.

I walk back towards where Thena stood, but this time she had her arms crossed. "Ajak's not going to be happy."

"Then it is a good thing Ajak will not know." I shrug as we continued to walk towards our meeting spot with the others.

Makkari skidded to a stop next to Thena, sending a sincere smile to us. "Are you two all right?" She signed and I simply nod.

"Where are the others?" Ajak worriedly asked with Sersi, Phastos, Sprite, and Druig standing behind her.

"We had to split up." Makkari signed.

"Elyus and I managed to stick together." Thena added. "There were more Deviants than you said."

"Well, I'm sure that was a lot of fun for you." Phastos spoke up.

"It was." Thena grinned before she elbowed my side. "I will say that Elyus makes it fun. You all should have seen the way she sliced the Deviant's head off."

My eyes briefly meet Sersi's, seeing her surprised look but I turn away in discomfort. "Can we not talk about it?"

"Once the others kill these last Deviants," Phastos used his abilities to create a projection of the globe. "we will have eliminated them all from the planet."

Gunshots rang behind us which were soon followed by the villagers screaming out in agony. The fires from the torches brightened the forest, giving a clear view of the raiders chasing after the villagers. With each gunshot that rang out, another body would collapse forward and the urge to step in became harder and harder to control.

"Don't." I hear Ajak warn and I turn, expecting to meet her gaze but hers were set on Druig, whose eyes briefly shined gold. "We don't interfere in their wars."