Five

Elyus's POV:

Babylon 575 BC

I anxiously swing my legs over the ledge, fiddling with the necklace in my hands as I look up at the darkened sky.

As soon as I left Sersi to finish her duties, I asked some of the children in the village to teach me how to make a beaded necklace for Sersi since I didn't think the flowers were enough.

It wasn't much but they helped me carve a green gemstone into a simple flower due to the color of her suit and since it reminded me of her love for humanity. In comparison to the rest of the Eternals, she treated the humans more delicately and lovingly which is one of the things I admire most about her.

Since Ajak picked the flowers for me the first time, I wanted something that I made to be given to her. From what the children explained, they believe that it was the best one that they've ever seen.

But then again, the gemstone is a poorly carved flower tied with yarn with small green and white beads.

With it already being dark at this point, I couldn't help but worry. What if the Deviants did a surprise attack? Could it be the reason why Sersi's late?

No, that's impossible. Ikaris or any of the other fighters would've made sure to find me.

But where else could she be? There's no way she forgot, right? Unless she...no she would never purposefully miss this.

"Ellie!" I look up from the necklace. and to my relief see Sersi rush up the steps, smoothening the baby hairs close to her eyes with tired breaths. "I'm so sorry. I-I got caught up with...something and completely lost track of time."

"It's no worries. It wasn't long." I give a small smile. Three hours of anxiously waiting in a panic were not too long, I would say. "I...was running a little late as well." That sounded believable, right?

"Oh, good." Sersi chuckled before taking a seat next to me. "Because I have news as well."

"Really? Can't be as good as mine." I tease, making sure to keep the necklace hidden from her.

"Oh really? Because you might need to take a second to process this." She fully turned to face me. "And since it sort of plays into the reason why I arrived so late, is it alright if I go first?"

I nod. "Yeah, sure. I want to make sure I say my news properly because my thoughts are a bit all over the place."

"Great. Well, not great to your thoughts being scrambled but I am glad that my news gets to go first." She rambled before shaking her head. "Sorry, sorry--"

"Sersi, breathe." I chuckle, turning to fully face her. "We have all night."

"Sorry! Okay, okay." She cleared her throat before taking a deep breath. "So lately, there has been this person that I get along well with but neither of us dared to act upon it more romantically until one day, they did something unexpected. It's clear as day that there's something there but--"

"You were scared that they didn't feel the same way as you do." I cut in, knowing the exact feeling and she immediately nodded.

"Yes! It got to a point where it became obvious to the villagers." Sersi shyly scratched the back of her neck.

My eyes widen in surprise. If the villagers know, then that means they were accepting! Perhaps there is hope after all. "And they are okay with it?"

"There were a few stares here and there when they saw us together today but overall, yes!"

"That's wonderful!" I grin, reaching for the necklace I hid behind me. "This sort of is similar to what I have been meaning to tell you that I--"