Chapter 1

"Jeongyeon" The front door to her office slid open, revealing Jihyo's tired face. "I just finished with the last of the boxes. Are you heading outnow?"

Jeongyeon glanced over her shoulder, blinking. Her eyeballs were almost completely dry. "Staying late," she answered automatically.

Before Jihyo could give her sad eyes, she turned back to the screen and continued polishing the work schedule she had started an hour earlier-for only the third month from the present one.

"Jeongyeon..." Jihyo sighed. "Trouble at home again?"

Exhaustion overcame Jeongyeon, but she shrugged and stared pointedly at the screen. Not like her eyeballs could get any dryer, right? "Nah. Just don't feel like going home. You can though. Don't wait for me."

The aura of reluctance was strong, practically
pouring out of Jihyo, but this was the same
old fight. She left it, saying a quiet goodbye,
and shut the door behind her. When she shut
the store doors, Jeongyeon exhaled so harshly that her shoulders sagged. Yeah, she just felt like working late.

Who didn't?

*

The night was unusually cold, making Jeongyeon harshly curse herself for forgetting her jacket at work. Not only did she work into the early hours of the morning, but now she was cold and starving. Her house wasn't all that welcoming either when she stepped inside-white picket fence, three dogs outside, a pool and four big bedrooms. The lights were off.

There was a faint smell of spaghetti in the air, so Jeongyeon followed it into the kitchen. As expected, Nayeon hadn't made any for her. The oven and microwave were empty. The fridge lacked any leftovers.

Slamming the fridge door with a sigh, Jeongyeon grabbed some cheese and bread. She hurriedly made a sandwich, swallowed it down with a can of beer, and then made her way warily down the hallway to the bedroom. Inside Nayeon slept, soundly and peacefully. She was sprawled out over the centre of the bed, hair spilling over Jeongyeon's pillow.

Instead of making Jeongyeon smile, like it used to, it made her sigh in irritation. She had a quick shower, dressed for bed and then climbed in on her side. She lightly pushed Nayeon away to her own side, and then turned her back to her wife, closed her eyes and fell into a cold, restless sleep.

Nothing new there.

*

The next morning Jeongyeon woke late. Her alarm had gone off, but clearly she had slept right through it. Swearing, she jumped out of bed and into a hurried shower. When she was done she clambered into the kitchen for a quick bite, only to find Nayeon at the stove, flipping pancakes.

jeongyeon paused.

"Don't you have work today?" she found herself blurting.

Nayeon glanced her way. "Morning to you too,
jeongyeon."

jeongyeon sighed. "Sorry. Morning. Is everything alright?"

"Everything is fine, Jeongyeon. Just because I decided to spend the morning at home, it doesn't mean the world is ending. It's not like you make much of an effort either."

jeongyeon narrowed her eyes. She went over to the fridge to grab a cold bottle of water, and drank from it slowly. Her chest was buzzing with anger, hot and tight. She hated it. And looking at Nayeon's small form, the hard line of her shoulders, the stiffness in her spine, Jeongyeon hated her too sometimes.

"Are you making any of that for me?" she bit out, intending the comment to hurt or insult. It did.

"Well, you were still in bed this time. Will you
even stay for breakfast?" Her tone wasclipped,
formal. It made Jeongyeon's anger burn brighter.