Chapter 5

After the coffee was consumed and conversation had, Dahyun offered to let Jeongyeon sleep over. She decided to accept, since she was still trying to really figure out what to do. Jihyo urging her to take the counselling helped. Jeongyeon just needed to get over her doubts and steel herself for a very big argument when she got home, so she stretched out on their couch and had a blank, dreamless sleep. She woke up before her friends did and made breakfast to say thank you. Afterwards she accepted a shower, dressed in fresh clothes and then hurried out to her car.

"Good luck!" Jihyo called out to her. "And try not to kill each other, alright?"

Jeongyeon slid her window down and put her key into the ignition. "Can't promise anything."

"Call us as soon as you've made a decision,"
Dahyun said. "Or I'll call you myself."

Jeongyeon rolled her eyes. "Yes mom!"

Jihyo laughed loudly and accepted a playful slap from Dahyun, but then they started kissing and Jeongyeon averted her eyes quickly before her chest started burning.

Jihyo distractedly waved her away and so she drove off, shaking her head but smiling softly. What on earth would she do without Jihyo and Dahyun to take her in for a night and talk some sense into her? She was insanely lucky to have them in her life. She briefly wondered if Nayeon also had people like that, minus Dahyun. It was no secret that on most arguments, Dahyun usually defended Nayeon while Jihyo, ever loyal, stuck behind Jeongyeon.

Traffic was very light as she drove home, mainly due to people already being at work. The rush was at least over, so Jeongyeon took her time driving through the highways towards the inner city. She considered stopping somewhere just to stall, but had to argue herself out of it. This needed to
happen, whether she liked it or not.

Her wedding ring still sat on her finger, a simple silver band, and with it the promise that they would stick together through sickness and in health. Jeongyeon owed it to them, to Nayeon, to give this a try. Even if all she wanted to do was just shrug and move on to something easier. Jeongyeon was never one to back down, though.

The house was just as she remembered it,
though the only noticeable difference was that Nayeon's Porsche sat in the driveway. Jeongyeon hadn't seen it in such a long time that she had to really think about it for a while before she remembered that yeah, it had always been such a dark shade of black. Just realizing that she'd barely recognized her wife's car made jeongyeon's mood drop low.

She climbed out of her car on shaky legs, but
steeled her nerves and headed inside. To her
surprise she heard the tapping of nails on wood and their three dogs came running down the hallway, eyes wide with excitement. A rush of happiness filled Jeongyeon at the sight of them.

"Hey babies," she greeted them eagerly, laughing. Spot, the oldest of the three, a full bred Pitbull, wiggled her butt as well as her tail and appeared to be resisting the urge to jump up on her. The other two, Scar, a Border collie mix, and Fluffy, a mix of what was possibly every breed of dog, wiggled beside Spot, crying softly and staring up at her with their big, brown eyes.

Jeongyeon had trained them well not to jump on her, or anyone, even when they were beyond excited. That usually meant that they would all just sit and wiggle around until someone gave them a pat on the head, so Jeongyeon gave in and dropped down onto her knees. The dogs knew that that gave them permission, and so they bounded forward to paw at Jeongyeon's legs and lick her neck.

Spot was the wettest when it came to her kisses, but Scar had the sharpest nails. Fluffy was the most excited out of all of them, and she all but climbed into Jeongyeon's arms to lick her squarely on the cheek.