Chapter 20

Jeongyeon was really trying to be more patient, but she could feel that she was getting overly agitated, and if Nayeon didn't fucking stop already, she was going to explode.

"Make sure everything runs smoothly!" Nayeon yelled into her phone. "I don't care, just do it!" She ended the call, continued to pace across the lounge and dialled a new number.

Jeongyeon watched her pace four more times before her temper won."Will you please sit the fuck down? I'm trying to watch something."

Nayeon's head snapped up and she looked at her as if she'd forgotten Jeongyeon was even in the room. "I'm sorry, I just need to get all these things done. The caterers should be here."

Jeongyeon's eyebrows shot into her hairline. "You ordered caterers?" She set the remote aside and stood, grabbing Nayeon by the elbows and forcing her to stand still. Nayeon only half-heartedly struggled.

"Nayeon, it's just dinner with your parents."

"I know, so it needs to be perfect."

Jeongyeon rolled her eyes. "Come on, you're being ridiculous."

Nayeon tugged out of her grip, glaring. "I care
what he thinks, jeongyeon! I know you don't give a fuck, but that doesn't mean I should roll over and embarrass myself. I don't even want to be doing this!"

Jeongyeon felt a tick at her eyebrow, so she decided to leave it. Nayeon was so fucking insufferable when she got frantic like this. Anything regarding her father sent her into a full blown panic. Nayeon didn't like this either, but Jennie's steps were absolute, and step 6 was dinner with the parents. Tonight was Nayeon's, and tomorrow would be Jeongyeon's. She didn't remember the last time they'd had dinner with either of their parents, though Nayeon's parents usually wouldn't be caught this side of the city. Jeongyeon was still surprised that they were even coming.

"Look, why don't you just try to enjoy yourself?" Jeongyeon asked her. She didn't want this to turn into a massive fight, which it was heading to. Instead she grabbed Nayeon's hand and rubbed a thumb along her wrist. "Relax, Nayeon."

Nayeon stopped fidgeting and closed her eyes
to inhale and exhale deeply. She was shaking. Jeongyeon pressed her thumb down and found that her heart was racing too.

"I'm sorry," Nayeon told her softly, voice barely above a whisper.

Jeongyeon sighed. "It's alright. I know how you get."

The doorbell rang, and Nayeon's eyes flew open. She rushed to let the caterers in and jeongyeon could only stand aside and watch as groups of people flooded in to decorate the place and start cooking. Jeongyeon hated this. Why couldn't they just order food, or just make a roast themselves or something? If that wasn't good enough for Mr Im, then he could fuck off. But Nayeon didn't want to hear any of it. She was running around coordinating, and Jeongyeon decided to leave the lounge to sit out back with the dogs. They were happily wrestling in the sand until they noticed her and bounded over in pure joy.

Jeongyeon must have been outside for a long time before Nayeon eventually found her.
"What are you doing?" Nayeon hissed, eyes wide. "You need to get dressed!"

Jeongyeon looked down at her jeans and t-shirt. "I am dressed."

"No! In the new dress I got for you. Go shower
and change, please." Jeongyeon pressed her lips together. For a moment she merely stared at Nayeon, feeling familiar irritation in her chest, but eventually gave in and stood. She brushed by Nayeon and resisted the urge to throttle her. "You're fucking ridiculous," she growled at her. Nayeon didn't even seem to hear her, because she was already flitting back into the kitchen to check on the food.