Chapter 11

Jeongyeon sat in her car, staring forlornly at what was once their home, but for the past few weeks had been Nayeon's. She knew she had offered to pick Nayeon up, but she regretted it. Why had she been so soft? She was still pissed off at Nayeon; still furious. But seeing her the night before, the way she had been so sad, so tired, it had cracked something in Jeongyeon's heart she never knew was able to still crack.

Sighing, Jeongyeon unclipped her seatbelt and climbed out of her car. It felt strange walking up her own driveway as a stranger. Jeongyeon didn't lie and she didn't ignore her promises.

Stomach rolling, she rang the bell and waited, chewing on the inside of her lip. There was no answer. Five minutes later, still nothing. Jeongyeon grew worried. She kept ringing the bell but Nayeon didn't answer. Heart thudding, Jeongyeon pulled her phone out and hit
speed-dial. After a few agonizing rings, the call was answered by a muffled groan.

"Nayeon?" Jeongyeonasked, voice slightly cracking in worry.  "Where are you?"

Another moan. "In bed," she whispered. "I'll be
there in a moment."

Jeongyeon's heart sank. "Nayeon, is it a migraine?" Silence.

Seconds passed. "Yeah." A sigh. "I'll be there, just wait."

Jeongyeon rolled her eyes. "Don't you dare get out of bed. I know where the emergency key is. I'll be there now." Before Nayeon could arque Jeongyeon ended the call and swiped the key from the top of the door's archway. When her fingers curled around the key, a memory filled Jeongyeon's mind.

***

She remembered the day they had bought the house, when Jeongyeon had decided where to keep their key.

"But I can't reach it!" Nayeon had complained,
pouting.

Jeongyeon had laughed. "All the better. The short burglars won't be able to find it. And..." She had leaned down, pulling Nayeon closer for a slow, languid kiss. "It means you'll always keep me around and need me."

**

Jeongyeon swallowed. Why'd she have to remember that?

Nayeon was in the hallway, a hand plastered to the side of her face, eyes screwed shut. She was clearly trying to walk to the door but she'd stopped halfway.

"Why do you have to be so stubborn?" Jeongyeon grumbled, sweeping Nayeon into her arms bridal style. Jennie groaned.

"I'm sorry," she whimpered. "I tried."

"Enough of that. I know your migraines get bad. You should never have gotten out of bed. Why didn't you call me when you woke up?" Her voice was rising with anger. "I swear, it's like you want to end up dead in a ditch somewhere." She carried Nayeon back into the bedroom and carefully deposited her down onto the bed, pulling the blanket up to her chin. She reached in the bedside drawer and pulled out Nayeon's medication for her migraines. She popped one pill out and handed it over. Nayeon obediently slipped it underneath her tongue.

"If that one doesn't work, take a second one,"
Jeongyeon ordered firmly. "And where is your phone? I need to call your office. You aren't going anywhere today."

As expected Nayeon's eyes flew open. She tried to move but her head must have really hurt, because she winced and dropped back down, hands pressing against her eyes.

"Don't move and don't talk, idiot," Jeongyeon told her. "Just let yourself rest for once in your goddamn life."

Nayeon just groaned in pain. Jeongyeon made sure that the blinds were completely shut, bathing them in utter darkness. She then left the room, closing the door softly behind her.