Chapter 10

"Watching?" Jeongyeon snarled, eyes flitting across the room. "From where the fuck?"

Nayeon sighed. She looked tired, but Jeongyeon correctly assumed that it was from work. This entire evening was getting on her nerves. Not only did she feel bored as fuck, but Nayeon was making her feel like she would rather be anywhere else than there.

But, much to her dismay, Nayeon stood and gestured to the dance floor. Almost everyone had left their seats and coupled up. There were a few singles, a few groups, but mostly couples.

Jeongyeon's throat bobbed as she swallowed.
"You really want to go along with this?" Jeongyeon asked her.

Irritation flared across Nayeon's face. "We signed a contract, as I've been constantly reminded. I would much rather be at work than dancing at this weird place with you."

Jeongyeon was surprised by how much the comment stung. Her face grew hot and her stomach clenched, and she knew her expression must have darkened because Nayeon suddenly looked guilty. She didn't fight back, though. Instead, she stood, roughly pulled Nayeon into her arms and then whisked them away.

The song was fast and filled with complicated beats, so Jeongyeon danced them hard. Nayeon kept trying to talk to her, to tell her to slow down or stop, but Jeongyeon ignored
her.

Thank god there was only one dance. As soon as the announcer told them to return to
their tables, Jeongyeon dropped Nayeon's arms like she was on fire and briskly walked away.

Nayeon joined her at the table a moment later. Her face was red and flushed and her makeup looked a little ruined.

"You should have changed," Jeongyeon told her blandly. "Must not have been comfortable doing the bogey in that skirt."

Nayeon's face pulled in anger, but she huffed
and looked away. Her phone started to ring-the phone-and to Jeongyeon's annoyance, she answered it.

"What?" Nayeon suddenly stiffened in her chair, back straightening. Jeongyeon's stomach dropped.

She knew exactly why Nayeon had gone from
angry to attention. "Father," Nayeon breathed.
"I apologize. I didn't realize it was-no. No I'd
never!" She flushed deep red. "I understand. Yes. I will, I promise. Goodb-" She lowered the phone and stared at it.

Jeongyeon could see tears welling in her eyes and the sight of them sent a throb through her heart. She sighed.

"He should never treat you like that," Jeongyeon said softly. Jennie glanced up at her, eyes sharp.  "And don't snap at me, I'm trying to be nice."

Nayeon laughed sardonically. "Nice? Yeah, sure." She wiped at her eyes and put her phone off.

Sometimes Jeongyeon forgot what a pretentious asshole Nayeon's father was. When the two of them had just met- Jeongyeon and Nayeon- Nayeon had just moved in with her father. She was an illegitimate child born from an affair, but her father had taken her in. He at first refused to really acknowledge her or even give her the promise that she could join his company, like his other kids. But his other children never wanted to follow his footsteps and when he realized he would have no one in the family at the helm, suddenly Nayeon had been good enough. He left most of the work to her when he was still getting paid and it was still all in his name.

Jeongyeon's anger melted away completely. "I'm sorry," she said gently. "For earlier."

Nayeon nodded absently. Their food arrived and they ate in silence. Afterwards they ordered desert. Before it arrived, they were told to dance again. This time Jeongyeon held her hand out and Nayeon took it.

They walked together onto the dance floor and then Nayeon stepped into Jeongyeon's arms. The song that started was slow, purposeful and solemn. For the first time in a long time, Jeongyeon's body reacted to having Nayeon so near. Her heart gave a steady jump and hope flared in her stomach.

"I wish you would quit," Jeongyeon decided to say. "And work with me or something."

Nayeon stared up at her. "Quit as CEO of the
biggest company in the city?" She shook her
head. "That's not happening."

"Money is not an issue here," Jeongyeon insisted. "You should think about your emotional health."

"My emotional health is fine. And I don't care
about the money." Silence fell over them, filled with all of the words they knew were there, but couldn't say.

Nayeon stayed because despite how he treated her, she wanted her father's approval. She would work herself to death one day until he looked at her and said she had done a good job. Jeongyeon couldn't understand that desire. All her life she'd only ever really looked out for herself. Nayeon had always been somewhat of an enigma to her. The motivations she could see, but some of them
made no sense to her.

"Thank you for caring still," Nayeon spoke
up suddenly. Her hands on Jeongyeon's shoulders tightened slightly. "I didn't think you still do."

"Of course I still do," Jeongyeon rushed. "If I didn't, I wouldn't be here."

Nayeon looked up and their gazes locked. They stared at each other, hearts beating, not moving.

The song ended abruptly and they were told to
return to their table again, for desert. The both
of them obeyed, stepped away from each other quickly, eyes darting away. There was already plates on their table when they got there, and a note in Jennie's handwriting.

'Bill taken care of. Enjoy your cake. - J'

"I guess that means we can leave," Jeongyeon
muttered.

They sat down and ate their cake, neither saying anything. And for some reason they stayed longer than they should have, just watching the dancers, each other. It was weird. Jeongyeon didn't regret the evening.

*

Nayeon stumbled into her house with a soft
curse, kicking off her shoes. She was so
uncomfortably sweaty from all the dancing.
Plus, she'd had a bit too much wine. Jeongyeon had only drank water and so she offered to drive Nayeon home.

In her slightly drunken state, Nayeon had happily agreed. Now she was starting to seriously regret it. How was she going to get to work?

Her phone started to right. Fingers shaking,
Jennie answered it. "Hello?"

"Nayeon, hey." It was Jeongyeon. "I'll pick you up tomorrow and drop you off by your car. The staff at Disco said they'll make sure it's watched by their security. Get a good night's rest."

Nayeons's chest warmed and clenched. Jeongyeon really did still care about her. She always did stuff like this. She acted like a selfish asshole, but went out of her way to help people that she cared about. Nayeon felt the tears pouring down her cheeks before she even realized that she was crying. She didn't want Jeongyeon to hear.

"Thank you," she said, voice tearful. "I really
appreciate it."

"Always, Bunny," Jeongyeon responded, voice softening.

Nayeon hadn't heard her voice that gentle in such a long time with that nickname.

"I'll see you in the morning, alright?"

Nayeon sniffled. "Yeah. Of course."

"Goodnight, Nayeon."

She inhaled. "Night, Jeongyeon."

The call ended and Nayeon stood there, phone to her ear, tears pouring down her face.

She wished things had never gone bad, and that Jeongyeon was just here to hold her.