Chapter 18

Jeongyeon woke fully expecting to find Nayeon's car gone, or at the very least some sort of sign that she had returned at all, but she didn't. Nayeon's car was still in the garage, the entire house was untouched, her office hadn't been used last minute and her bed was pristine. Where the fuck was she?

Jeongyeon decided to give Nayeon a call on her way to Jennie's office, but it went straight to voicemail. Steadily, her anger was rising. It was clear that Nayeon hadn't taken the time to try to get a gift, so she was ghosting. It made Jeongyeon so fucking angry, but it also hurt her so deeply she felt her eyes prickle.

When Jeongyeon arrived at Jennie, she paused mid-step in the doorway. Nayeon was there, sitting on her usual spot and laughing with Jennie. When they both noticed Jeongyeon step in, Jennie schooled her expression but Nayeon beamed.All of the negative emotions that had been building and nearly overflowing suddenly evaporated, but then she was just left feeling very confused.

"Nayeon," Jeongyeon said, taking her seat. "You didn't come home last night."

Jeongyeon furrowed her brows at the sight of Nayeon nearly smirking. She didn't seem worried or even upset, but actually playful and even... excited. "Sorry about that," Nayeon told her. She calmed her expression and smoothed her face out. Jeongyeon's anxiety was starting to kick in. "I needed to do something urgently and didn't have the time to contact you."

Jeongyeon wanted to ask more, but Jennie cleared her throat and waited for their undivided attention. "Good morning to the two of you," she greeted cheerfully. "Thank you for coming here. Are you ready to share your gifts with each other? Jeongyeon, why don't you go first?"

Jeongyeon remembered the gift in her pocket.
Her heart suddenly started to hammer, and
when both Jennie and Nayeon stared at her
expectantly, nerves filled her stomach. She
decided to ask questions later and slowly pulled the object from her pocket. She held it up so that Nayeon could see and watched closely for her reaction.

First, Nayeon furrowed her brows in thought, then her eyes widened comically. She reached out, fingers shaking, and took the necklace from Jeongyeon. "Where did you find it?" she asked, voice soft and amazed.

Despite the horrible morning she had endured, Jeongyeon felt warmth fill her entire body at the look of awe and happiness on Nayeon's face. "I didn't. I had it remade."

Nayeon looked up at her. She turned the necklace around in her hands, inspecting the golden rose and the golden chain. She ran her finger over the grooves of the petals.

Jeongyeon's heart ached when Nayeon's eyes filled with tears and they spilled over. She immediately scooted closer until they
were pressing against each other, and took
Nayeon's cheeks in her hands.

"You don't need to cry," she told her softly.

Nayeon sniffed. "I know. I'm sorry, but I just..."

Jeongyeon wiped her tears away with her thumbs. "It's okay."

When they had first gotten married, Jeongyeon had given the necklace to Nayeon on their honeymoon. It was a family heirloom that Jeongyeon's mother had finally given to her after receiving it from her mother, so it was especially special.

Jeongyeon had said that Nayeon could have it, until she had someone to pass it down to, if they ever had a child. It had always been a thing they intended to give to their future daughter, and staring at it now, Jeongyeon felt the absence of a child keenly.After the years, they had just stopped thinking about it.

"I still feel so horrible for losing it," Nayeon
whispered. She took one of Jeongyeon's hands and intertwined their fingers. "I don't deserve this."

Jeongyeon furrowed her brows. She squeezed Nayeon's fingers with her own. "Nayeon, you deserve everything."

Nayeon stared into her eyes, a long moment of silently staring at each other, as if finally seeing each other after so long. It felt good and meaningful, but it was quickly interrupted.

"And Nayeon, your gift," Jennie spoke up.

"Oh!" Nayeon's eyes lit up and she turned to
rustle around in her bag beside her. She pulled a rectangular object onto her lap, wrapped with brown paper. "Okay, so, open it and then I will explain."

Jeongyeon took the gift and studied the wrapping, which was sloppily done. She carefully unfolded the paper and set it down at her feet before inspecting what was within. It was a book. Confusion returned, until she turned it and got a look at the cover. Her heart nearly leapt out her throat and her eyes widened so much they nearly fell out. Nayeon started to grin and Jennie chuckled.

"How did you get this?" Jeongyeon asked, voice nearly choked.

Nayeon winked. "Open it."

Jeongyeon did. On the very first page, the author had signed and left a personal message.

Hi Jeongyeon! Your lovely wife Nayeon flew all the way across the world to my home to ask for this copy, and for a message from me. I was so touched that I couldn't say no. She really must love you, and I'm a little jealous. I hope you enjoy this early copy of my new novel coming out next month. And I hope that things between you and Nayeon workout.

Love like yours is rare.

Love,
John Green.

Jeongyeon's mouth had gone bone dry. She flipped the book to read the back. Her stomach was in knots and her chest ached, but it all felt good. She couldn't believe that she was holding an early copy of The Novel by her favourite author of all time. She had been raving about wanting this book ever since it had been announced, and for Nayeon to have noticed that and actually gone out of her way like this, to such extremes?

Jeongyeon couldn't help it, she started to cry. Nayeon wrapped her up in a tight hug and they quietly cried together. Jennie didn't interrupt them. Jeongyeon took Nayeon's hand and held it tightly. Her heart was pounding and absolutely aching, but there was absolutely no doubt in her mind now.

"I love you," Jeongyeon whispered against Nayeon's ear. Nayeon stiffened against her, and then went slack. "I still love you, so much."

It wasn't just that she'd gotten an awesome
present. It was just... the fact that Nayeon had left work-which she was so married to-had left
the country, bothered some poor woman out in the world, and returned in time for their session, showed Jeongyeon that Nayeon genuinely still cared about her.

Jeongyeon rested her cheek against the top of Nayeon's head and glanced over at Jennie. Jennie tried to hide it, but Jeongyeon noticed her discreetly wiping her eyes, and it made her smile.

Nayeon's hand in her own felt like home.