Chapter 9

She received the next step through email this
time, a week after that awkward dinner with
Nayeon. Jeongyeon briefly wondered if all ten steps would simply be various dates at different restaurants, because step three told them to meet up at six P.M at a restaurant called Disco.

What the hell type of name is that?

Jeongyeon only got the email at five P.M. Was Jennie mad? Jeongyeon groaned long and loud.

"Jeongyeon, what's wrong? I can hear your groaning from the kitchen."

She lifted her head and saw Jihyo staring at her from the kitchen doorway. "I'm pretty sure this marriage counsellor is an idiot," Jeongyeon told her. "Or just completely mad."

Jihyo frowned and walked over to her. She had an apron on with a rabbit cartoon on the
front, which really didn't suit her but was clearly bought by Dahyun, and of course Jihyo
would wear it without question.

"What is she making you do now?"

"Another date night," Jeongyeon whined. "If I knew taking Nayeon out on dates could mend our marriage, I would have done it myself instead of going to some nut job."

Jihyo pointed a wooden spoon at her face.
"Now, don't knock it yet. I like that she's making you guys start at the beginning. I mean, think about it, when last did the two of you actually spend time together since your marriage problems started?"

Jeongyeon thought about it and drew a blank. "I mean, a while... but that isn't the point. I don't even know what to say to her. We either fight or we just sit there and sulk. I hate it."

"Are you going to quit then?"

Jeongyeon slid her laptop shut with a sigh. "No," she said. "I made a vow and I'm keeping to it. I might not love Nayeon anymore, but I still made a point to at least try." She stood.

"Now, help me find a sexy pair of shorts."

Jihyo snorted. "Sexy shorts? Do those even
exist?"

"Yeah, the super tight, really short ones. Maybe I'll show off some leg, make Nayeon remember what she's missing."

Jihyo outright laughed then. "Or terrify her with the Wookie living on your legs." She laughed again when Jeongyeon slapped her shoulder and retreated to the kitchen, so impressed with her own joke that she simply continued to laugh.

"My legs are not hairy!" Jeongyeon rolled her eyes and hurried to her bedroom to find some casual clothes.

*

Nayeon's personal phone rang, but she ignored it.

"Uh, shouldn't you get that?" Dahyun asked

The phone continued to ring, but Nayeon only
shrugged her shoulders and continued typing
away at her computer. "It's my personal phone," she explained.

Dahyun didn't seem placated. "What if it's
Jeongyeon?" Sighing, Nayeon stopped typing and sent Dahyun a look.

The phone finally stopped vibrating. They stared at each other in silence, then the phone started ringing again. Their eyes remained locked, Dahyun narrowed hers and then Nayeon looked away and sighed again.

"Fine," she grumbled, reaching for the offending device. It wasn't Jeongyeon's number, or even saved on her phone. She didn't recognize it.

"Hello?" Someone immediately yelled into her ear, almost causing her to throw her phone across the room. "Aren't you excited?!" they yelled again, so loudly that even Dahyun could hear it from her seat across Nayeon.

"Wow," Dahyun mouthed in shock.

Nayeon sighed deeply. She knew that voice, and on some level, the screaming too. She pressed the phone against her ear again. "Was that really necessary?" she asked.
"And why are you calling me?"

Jennie hummed as if in deep thought about
that question. "Well, step three is in effect right now. How close are you to finishing your work?"

Nayeon's stomach dropped. "Nuh-uh, I can't do this again. I have too much to do."

"Nayeon, you signed a contract."

"I have a job."

"And a wife, too."

Nayeon remained silent. She tried to ignore
Dahyun's knowing look-she could of course
hear every word Jennie said-but the guilt was
starting and it grated on her damn nerves.

She remembered the last time she had seen jeongyeon, a week ago. Even though they had fought as usual, they had actually spoken pleasantly, had remembered their first date.

She really, really didn't want to throw this marriage away. She just... wasn't sure what on her part she needed to do. But if it was complying to this dumb ten step system, then so be it.

Nayeon closed her laptop, shut her PC off and stood from her chair.

"Fine," she said. "What do I need to do?"

*

Nayeon had never been to Disco before, quite
obviously. It wasn't her scene at all. Not only was she completely uncomfortable, but she was also slightly overdressed.

Jeongyeon had shown up in a t-shirt and shorts and she looked relaxed, if a bit bored.

Living up to its odd name, the restaurant had a
large dance floor right in the centre, with a disco ball hanging from the ceiling. The waiters all had whacky hairstyles and outfits, and music from the 70s played from speakers all over.

It set such a weird atmosphere that Jeongyeon didn't even feel hungry. Nayeon seemed to be, since she was intently studying the menu.

"None of this looks appetising," she finally said, setting the menu down with a sigh.

"What the hell is Jennie thinking?"

Nayeon ran a hand through her hair. "Right? This place is so weird."

"I wouldn't be surprised if a group of clowns
suddenly appeared and started serving tables."

Nayeon covered her mouth and giggled just
thinking about it. "Honestly, I can see that too."

Jeongyeon smiled at her. It had been so long since Jeongyeon had just smiled, more specifically at her, that Nayeon never realized how much she had missed it.

Her heart gave a steady thump and she
cleared her throat. "We should probably order something.

Jeongyeon nodded. "Maybe we should just sneak out and get some McDonald's."

Their waiter appeared suddenly, grinning so
wide it must have hurt. "Good evening ladies, I
have been told to deliver this message to you."
He set a paper down on the table. "Are you ready to order?"

Jeongyeon reached for the paper as Nayeon gave her order. When the waiter left, Nayeon curiously looked over at Jeongyeon and saw that she was glaring at the paper. "What?" she asked.

"That weirdo freaks me out," Jeongyeon muttered. She turned the paper so Nayeon could see.

'Please remain seated for the duration of your
dinner. You may not leave until you've eaten,
conversed and the bill has been settled. Enjoy! - J!

Jeongyeon made a show of shivering. "How the fuck did she know?"

Nayeon hid a smile behind her hand. "Maybe
she bugged the table." They locked eyes.
The suggestion actually didn't sound out
of character. Jeongyeon opened her mouth to say something, but then suddenly a voice boomed over the speakers and her mouth clicked shut.

"Alright, all of you lovely couples! Before your
dinner is served, it's time to dance!"
Their waiter whisked past, dropping another
paper as he did.

Jeongyeon hissed. "Where the fuck is
she?"

Nayeon took the paper this time and opened
it with hesitation. Her heart started beating
nervously.

"Jeongyeon," she said softly, garnering her
attention. "You might not like this."

Jeongyeon looked at her and she turned the paper so that she could read.

'Oh, by the way, dancing before eating is
mandatory. You literally can't refuse. I'm
watching. - J'