Chapter 12

Jeongyeon's eyes fluttered open when her phone's alarm went off. She groaned and reached over to the bedside table to silence the noise and then flopped down onto her back. She rubbed her hands over her face and yawned so hard her jaw cracked in several places.

It was really early. Thanks to the thick blinds it
was as dark as night. Jeongyeon sat up groggily and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. "Nayeon, are you awake?"

She climbed out of bed and fumbled for the
light switch. Even though she hadn't been
sleeping here for a while, she still remembered the layout of the room like the back of her hand. She found the switch and turned the light on, but Nayeon was gone. Her side of the bed was empty. Jeongyeon's heart dropped.

"Nayeon?" she called out loudly. She started
rushing through the house. Checking the
bathrooms, the kitchen, and the study. Tell me
she didn't, Jeongyeon thought desperately. Please tell me she didn't.

Jeongyeon even checked the front and back yard. She could feel anger rising hard in her gut, so it took her a while to realize that she should have checked the garage first. When she did, she found it empty. Nayeon's car was gone.

"God fucking damnit!" Jeongyeon yelled, throwing a hard punch at the wall. Pain flared up her arm but it felt good, drowned in her endless pit of anger. "She fucking did it," Jeongyeon fumed. She dropped her arm, ignoring the blood dripping from her ripped skin.

Nayeon had gone to work.

*

Nayeon's head still hurt, but it was more of a
constant ache instead of the agonizing throb it had been. Though, with her stress levels so high she wouldn't be surprised if it just got worse. She had some pain meds in her office, ones that wouldn't put her to sleep. They weren't as powerful as she needed, but they would do for the day. She needed to catch up on all of the work she had missed.

Currently she was in a meeting with the board. They were all bickering about their newest acquisition, on how to best change the business assets to align with Im Corp.

Nayeon sat silently at the head of the table, her elbow pressed to the table and her cheek in her palm. They'd hardly really communicated with her, preferring instead to argue with each other like children. Nayeon hated them.

"We should do a complete revamp of the brand," one of them was saying.

"I think the brand is fine as is."

"We can make it better!"

"And what about the employees?" a third
interjected. "We'll need to get a whole new set of people in. People from Im Corp."

Nayeon started rubbing her temples. "We fire
absolutely no one, Kennedy," she spoke up
suddenly.
The men stopped talking to stare at
her. "But we-"
She shut him up with the force of her glare.
"Should I repeat myself?"
Kennedy shut his mouth quickly. Frank, the guy sitting beside him, frowned. "What would your father do in this situation?" he asked.

Nayeon clasped her hands together and
squeezed hard. "My father is in the Bahamas,
swimming with dolphins and mermaids," she
snapped. "I am in charge here."
"Mrs Im, if you would just call him and-"

The door to the conference room suddenly
burst open, slamming hard against the wall
and rattling. Nayeon jerked in surprise. Her heart flipped in nervousness when furious brown eyes levelled her with a scary glare.

"Nayeon," Jeongyeon growled. One of her fists was covered in a bandage and the other was
clenched tightly. "May I please speak with you
privately? Now."

Nayeon's temper rose. What the absolute fuck? Jeongyeon couldn't just storm in here and make demands like this, especially not in front of the board. But she couldn't say as much, and she knew Jeongyeon would just make a scene to get her to comply. Clenching her jaw hard to settle her growing anger, she nodded. "Excuse me, gentlemen," she told them stiffly. "This will only take a moment."