12 - game

"Written kisses don't reach their destination, rather they are drunk on the way by the ghosts."

― Franz Kafka

. . .

Xerxes Creed

There was something wrong with me.

I rubbed the upper part of my stomach, frowning down at the file on my laptop. I couldn't concentrate on a single world.

I looked up, into the bathroom. The door was open. Olivia was putting something on her eyes, wearing a beautiful yellow dress with heels which made her just a tiny bit taller. Her hair looked beautiful.

She looked at me and frowned. "What's wrong?"

I almost said nothing but stopped myself. "I just feel a little..."

I stood, putting the laptop down. I glanced at my phone. Every bodyguard who was going to protect Olivia in my absence was settled around the campus, living in apartments we had bought. One was across from the apartment we were in. It didn't ease my worry.

I walked towards her. She looked beautiful.

"Different how?" She asked, putting a brush down on the absolute mess the counter was.

"I have no idea."

"Maybe it's because you're leaving tomorrow?"

Breathing got a little harder. I frowned. "Yeah, perhaps."

She walked closer, taking my hand in hers. "What do you feel?"

I took in a deep breath, filling in my lungs. It didn't help much.

"Xerxes." She kissed my palm, leaving a little stain of pink.

"Here," I said, pressing her small hand to my upper stomach. "Can't breath properly. Maybe I should visit a doctor."

Worry lit her eyes. "Can't breath?"

"It's a little difficult."

"When did it start getting difficult?"

"When..." When she said I was leaving in a day.

She smiled a soft smile as if she knew. "You have your business to attend to," she said. "I am completely safe here with the million bodyguards." She cupped my face. "Those who hurt us are dead. No one can hurt us."

"I won't let them."

"I know," she whispered. "What happened wasn't your fault-"

"Don't lie to me," my voice was sharp. She frowned. "It was stupid to think your father was not a threat."

"And now he is dead."

"And you have a fucking carving on your ribs."

"You are not the one who did it. Then why must you beat yourself up for it? What happened happened. There is no way it can be changed then why?"

I looked at her, at every corner of her face. "I need you safe," I said. "More than I need my next breath."

"The only way to keep me safe, Xerxes," she said. "Is to take your next breath."

. . .

The rose looked beautiful in her hair as she shuffled through the things on the rack. I watched, looking around every few seconds.

"Look this is so cute!"

She turned with a little bunny pencil sharper in her hands. "I need this."

I smiled. "Looks cute."