50 - work out

. . .

Ashton Creed

I was about to walk inside the room where my brothers and Olivia were when I heard it.

A sob. It was a tiny, muffled sob.

It didn't come again. But I knew which direction it came from. I walked to the right, where a table was set up, and right beside it was curled up a girl.

The girl who has said 'more like forced' during the reception. I didn't know her but I knew her father - he was a captain, so not that high up.

She looked to be twelve or thirteen. She was clasping her knees to her chest, face buried in them, and her blond hair covering her face.

She froze when I paused in front of her and then slowly lifted her blotchy, red face.

I tilted my head. "Did someone hurt you?"

She shook her head, fingers digging into her knees. "No."

"Are you lying?"

She stayed quiet.

I watched her, for a moment, and then extended my hand toward her. "Get up. You can cry in a room."

She eyed my hand and then slowly let me pull her up.

"I don't want to go to my room," she mumbled.

"Why?"

"I..." She shook her head, crossing her skinny arms against her chest. "It's nothing. I'll go to my mother now."

"Do you want your mother to know you've been crying?"

"No, not really-"

"Wash your face. Your makeup is all over it. Looking defensive doesn't make you good at defense." I nodded towards my room. "You can use that bathroom."

She eyed me and dropped her arms. "Do I look defensive now?"

"Remove that bite from your tone," I said. "Make it monotonous."

"Like yours?"

"Exactly."

I led her to the room and knocked loudly. "Be decent. I've got company." I didn't trust my brothers to not jump on Olivia the second they were alone.

The door opened and Olivia blinked up at me. She was still dressed.

"Hey-" she looked down at the girl. "Hello." She frowned. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

The girl shook her head. "No- I just need to wash my face before I go back to my room."

"Of course. Come in." Olivia pushed the door open and let the girl inside.

The girl didn't glance at Xerxes, who was sitting on a chair, and Zavier, who was laying on the bed. She marched right where the washroom was and closed it.

"Did someone hurt her?" Olivia asked me in a whisper.

"No," I said. "There are no marks. She doesn't seem to be in pain - not physical, at least."

She nodded. "Maybe her mother said something," she whispered. "Her mother seemed mean."

The washroom door opened and the girl stepped out. Her makeup was gone, and now she looked younger. She looked at us and hesitated.

"I..." She scratched the back of her neck and then folded her arms against her chest before dropping them. "My mother isn't mean."

"I'm sorry I said that-" Olivia rushed to apologize.

"No-" the girl said, shuffling on her feet again. "She..." She shook her head. "Thank you for letting me use your washroom. I'm so sorry for not introducing myself. I'm Lana."

"Olivia Woods." Olivia have the girl a comforting smile. "I don't think these three need an introduction."

"Not really," Lana gave her a nervous smile. "My mother must be looking for me."

I nodded. "Come on. I'll walk you to your room."

Lana said bye to Olivia and stepped out of the room with me. I followed her to her room and waited for her mother, with whom she was apparently sharing a suit.

The door opened. The woman didn't notice me.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" She growled. "Crying like that - in front of Gianna and your future hu-" Her eyes fell on me.

"Hello," I said. "Lana was helping my girlfriend with something. I do hope her absence did not cause any trouble."

"N-not at all, Mr. Creed-"

"And I do hope you were not going to say 'future husband'" I added. "Because If you were, I will be forced to take action."

"I-its not like that!" The woman said. "It's just decided now. They will get married when she turns eighteen. Gianna decided it, Mr. Creed."

"Did she?"

She nodded furiously. "Yes."

I walked back to my room.

Gianna Creed was getting on my fucking nerves.

. . .

Olivia Woods

While I slept, I couldn't help but think of Lana.

And after what Ashton told me, I could not stop hating Gianna. Who just ... Promises someone to someone when they're so young?

"What did you find?" I asked Xerxes as he came back to the room. I couldn't stay still, so he offered to find out more about the situation. Zavier was sleeping beside me, and Ashton was reading a book. It was so deep in the night, it was almost morning.

"She is promised to Malcolm's brother - Brandon."

I frowned. "I didn't see anyone who looked her age at the family table."

"Yeah, he is...not her age."

"...what?"

. . .

I fell asleep during the drive back and was woken up by a hand shaking my shoulder gently.

"Baby, it's lunchtime."

I rolled on the bed I was on. I knew it was Xerxes's, because of the smell. I snuggled into it. "I'm not hungry."

"You barely ate breakfast," Xerxes said. "Take a nap after eating, hm?"

"I don't have energy," I mumbled.

He wrapped a blanket around me and picked me up gently. I snuggled into his chest.

"How much do you work out?" I asked him in a mumble. "This thing is made of steel."

He chuckled as he walked out of the room. "I work out quite a bit," he admitted.

"Maybe I should work out too," I mumbled. "Then I'll be made of steel too!"

"You can do that," he said. "You can work out with us. We'll ease you into it."

I thought about it. Running. Picking up heavy stuff. Doing squats and other energy consu-

"Let's put a lid on this idea," I said. "I want ice cream after lunch."

. . .