28 - Broken Lines

Double update 'cause I just felt like it

. . .

"Forgive me... for my love -for ruining you with my love."

- Fyodor Dostoevsky.

. . .

Olivia Woods

I didn't text them the whole day. The articles disappeared soon, so I knew they must know about this.

Still, they didn't call.

So, neither did I.

I threw myself into my fresco. I painted my vision on the canvas first, deciding on colors and the style I was going for.

Soon, I was immersed in my work, and the articles were pushed to the back of my mind.

. . .

Ashton Creed

"Here," Michael pointed at the map. "They are here. It used to be a school once. There are about a hundred."

Zavier picked up his gun, checking the bullets. "Let's go. We need what - fifty?"

I sat down on the chair, examining the map. "Are we sure about the numbers?" I asked. "Only a hundred? It is a big property."

Michael frowned. Xerxes watched quietly. "This is an estimate, of course. There can be a hundred and fifty, maximum."

I hummed. "And what about Igor's men?" Some were still loyal to the old boss and believed they could still kill us. I didn't understand that kind of loyalty, but I respected it. Not enough to not kill them, of course.

"We tracked another ten down yesterday," said Michael. "It's impossible to find out how many more are hiding."

Of course, it was. They had slowly been eating away at our establishments, causing fights and burning shit down. While it did not affect our wealth, It was bad for business and showed too much weakness. Now when Olivia wasn't here, we didn't have to bother to keep things muffled. The woods around the mansion reeked of corpses.

"Xerxes and I will deal with the chapter," I said. "Zavier can deal with Igor's men."

My twin looked conflicted. I knew he wanted to do both things. But then he shrugged. "Bring some for me."

"I will," I muttered, standing up. I buttoned my suit, exhausted. "Prepare everything. We leave at midnight. Leave, Michael."

"Ashton, there is something-"

I shook my head. "Later."

He nodded and walked out.

"I'm going to sleep."

"Did Olivia call you?" Asked Zavier. I shook my head.

"She is probably overworked with assignments right now," said Xerxes. "We should give her some time, no?"

I nodded even though I didn't want to agree. She needed to adjust to her life there, and we needed to learn how to live without her for a while.

Just two years.

Just two fucking years.

. . .

Olivia Woods

"Is it supposed to look that way?"

I looked at her. "It's not done yet-"

Arnaud hummed, experienced eyes running over the paper. I wanted to rip the paper apart. I looked around the yard. Many students paused whatever they were doing to look at us.