38 - Boxes

. . .

OLIVIA WOODS

There were times when an art block came out of nowhere and hit me in the face, and there were times when I could feel it approaching.

I could feel it approaching now.

Every color on my pallet seemed to fade and the burst of different possibilities which always overwhelmed me when I looked at a canvas failed to come to me.

The brush felt heavy in my hand.

And my heart filled with dread as it always did.

There it goes.

For something that was supposed to be my coping mechanism, sometimes art escaped me as soon as I was troubled.

After talking to Xerxes, more like him making me talk, I walked into the guest room to make something awesome. Now, I knew nothing awesome was going to be made anytime soon.

I kept the brush back. I couldn't even bring myself to stain the canvas.

The door opened and Ashton entered. "Xerxes told me."

I nodded.

He was dressed in another turtle neck, covered with a jacket. His glasses were on his nose. His blond hair, which had grown a bit longer, was tied back.

He walked deeper into the room, eyeing the untouched canvas. "Xerxes said you've been here for about an hour."

"I think I've hit art block," I said, taking my apron off. "I'm going to be unbearable now."

"Unbearable, hm?"

He took the apron from my hands and pulled me closer to him by my hips. He lowered his head and kissed my lips. "You think Ivan is pretty?"

"I think his name is pretty," I mumbled. "But, he looks good too."

He had dark brown hair, vampire-pale skin, and dark blue eyes. He was probably twenty-something.

His hands tightened. "He looks better than me?"

"Your jealousy is showing."

"I don't care. Do you think he looks better than me, little one?"

I shook my head shyly. "You look a lot better."

"Good girl."

He loosened his hold on my hips and wrapped his arms around my waist, his nose tracing my jaw as he breathed me in. His stubble scratched my soft skin. All of them seemed to have something against my skin - they had grown stubble which rubbed me raw. I was so tender between my thighs, I could barely sit.

"I-I was thinking..."

"Yes?"

"M-Maybe I should move out of the dorm," I whispered. "I am not using it much and I don't think I'll ever feel safe there."

He pulled back. "Are you sure?"

I nodded. "Yep." Even though I was sad about leaving Daisy there, I knew I would never be able to sleep there anymore.

Ashton took me to the dorm and helped me pack up things. Daisy wasn't there. Her Instagram showed she was at an exhibit with a friend. I didn't know how she could just post her location and not feel threatened. Then again, not many were stupid enough to mess with the Dalton family.

When we were almost done, I decided to take a break and sat on my tiny bed, looking at my nails which were in dire need of a manicure.

Ashton closed a box that had my books and set it on the study table. He took his jacket off, throwing it away. I held in a gasp as I saw his arms completely exposed.