46 - mother

I love you more than my heart can contain. It flows out of me. It rips through my wounds and eyes. It's bloody and messy and me. It's so unbelievably me.

They flew back the next day. Ashton kissed my forehead, Xerxes kissed my lips, and Zavier barely looked at me.

Did that hurt? More than anything.

But I forced myself to focus on my exams. I forced myself to paint, to do anything to break the damned art block. But this art block might as well be a fort - impossible to break down.

I had nightmares - constant nightmares. It was like my mind knew I was sad - so it added to the sadness. I spent the nights roaming the mansion like a ghost, unable to sleep for more than a few hours. I almost called them after every nightmare. I never had nightmares when they were beside me.

After my last exam for the semester, I took in a huge breath of relief and pretty much ran out of the classroom, eager to be away from the nervous energy. I looked around for Ivan in the hallway, but he wasn't there. My heart stilled for a second - Ivan wasn't there only when the Creeds were around. I didn't need a bodyguard when they were close.

Were they here?

I stepped out of the building and an Aston Martin pulled up right in front of me. The door opened and Giovanni, dressed in a tux and his brown hair up in a ponytail, stepped out with a grin on his tanned face.

"Hello, Olivia."

"Hi, Gio," I muttered. "What are you doing here?"

"You and I are going to a wedding," he leaned against the car. "Malcolm Creed's wedding."

I frowned. "But..." I was supposed to go there with them.

"It's about two hours away, and there are about three hours till it starts. I prefer being late, so you have one and half an hour to get ready," he said smoothly. "Get in."

"I don't think I sh-"

"Trust me, Olivia. You definitely should."

. . .

I looked at the olive green dress in the mirror. It was...beautiful. It had pearls hanging from its hem, which reached my knees. Its straps were thin and one kept falling off till I taped it with fashion tape. It had a little slit on my right thigh and a sort of deep neckline - but it was not like it could show anything. My feet were lifted in white heels and my hair was straightened and tucked behind my ears - from which dangled two white butterflies made of wire. I had made them in class.

Giovanni waited for me at the entrance and grinned when he saw me. "They are going to have a heart attack."

"They don't know about this?" I asked, anxiety shooting up. "What if they get mad?"

He gave me a look. "They are dying to look at you, Livy," he said dryly. "They check their phones like teenagers. It's disturbing to see."

That made me feel a bit...better.

"But...does the couple even know I am-"

"You'll be my plus one. I'd love to see anyone object to that." He gave me a shark grin. "Now come on. You got ready too early. We'll have to be on time now."

I had gotten ready early because I wanted to be on time. I could not take the anxiety of being late.

. . .

I drank from Gio's flask as I watched the cars pass by. We were on the road and Giovanni was driving. We were about half an hour away from the wedding.

"I gave it to you for a sip. You have real alcoholic potential, you know that?"

"I know. There is a reason the wine cellar is locked." I hit the back of the flask, waiting for some more liquid to pour out, but it was empty.

"Do you have anything else?" I handed him his flask back which he threw on the backseat.

"No," He said with a laugh. "Do you really want to make an entrance drunk?"

"As long as I don't remember it," I mumbled. "I don't feel drunk. I feel...buzzed."

"It wasn't strong," he said. "I don't drink and drive - usually. If something happened to you, they'd kill me and feed me to Cupcake."

"You know about Cupcake!"

"I do," he said. "I will steal him."

"I will hunt you down," I told him.

He laughed. "That'd be entertaining."

I grinned. "Are your brothers going to be there?"

"Only Dante. Fabiano is in Italy. Weddings aren't his scene."

"They are your scene?"

"Not really. But, someone needs to keep up with the appearances. Dante will not attend a public event for months after this. I don't mind events."

I hummed, cuddling into my seat. I closed my eyes. "Do you have someone?"

"What do you mean?"

"A girlfriend?"

He chuckled. "No. Olivia. And I do not plan to, either. I'm happy for your Creeds, but I can't imagine being as whipped as they are."

I paused. "Let's see what happens to that," I said. "Do you hate me for making them sad?"

"No," he said. 'They told me what happened. Zavier basically ranted while throwing stuff around and breaking a few things. I don't blame you for your reaction. But..."

"But?"

"You're going to have to come in terms with them tor- hurting people," he said. "Sooner or later. They can't stop, or put that on hold till you wrap your head around it."

"They are the bosses," I mumbled. "Can they not?"

He glanced at me and then shook his head, looking back at the road. "I know you think they have...choices because they are the bosses. But the thing, Livy, is that there are tons of Creeds waiting to dethrone them, given a chance. If they show weakness, their position will be challenged. While I can assure you that there is no one who can actually take their place, the rebellion will end in blood. It always does."

I thought about it. "Why do others want to dethrone them?"

"Power, greed, you name it. They don't follows the usual traditions - that fucks with lot of people."

'What are the traditions?"

He paused. "Usually, in your mafia, a man needs to be married before becoming the boss. Having a male heir is encouraged, too."

My eyes widened. "Um - wow. Okay."

He chuckled. "Don't worry. You're not going to have to do that before you're ready."

I rubbed my hands on my thighs.

I didn't even know if I wanted to be a mother.

. . .